1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using bass as a support,harmony and a solo instrument within a jazz standard?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jason Dude, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Jason Dude

Jason Dude

Feb 15, 2005
    I am not sure if you will understand the question,and my english and spelling is not good but ill try and detailed answers will be appriciated.

1.I need an explanation of how do YOU approach a new jazz standard or a composition using ONLY bass.Do you pick a standard and strickly play the chords,learn the bassline learn the theme,or do you play around with all of those and how do you do it(i only play bass,so hence the limiting my self to one instrument).
    Do you play with various beats with the piece,playing different rhytms and how do you do it?

2.How to completly understand a jazz standard,analyzing it playing the harmony, the support and the solo piece in the composition.And what actually analyzing means for you?And not only playing a walk line over the chords starting on the root,do you sometimes change that.Analyzing the theme/melody of the song?Classical musicans always talk about analyzing,and what do they do,and how do they do it.

3.How do you approach a jazz trio,quartet,quintet, or other bands and does your playing style change with the number of musician in your band.If so,how?
    And at what point can you say that you know a standard inside out?At what point you can say "i know this song so well i can play whatever style at whatever key at whatever beat".

Thanks in advance for all the detailed answers.