Using bass cabs as PA speakers (and vice versa)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I'm currently playing bass for one band and doing guitar and vocals for another. Both bands use the same equipment, and we currently don't have any way to effectively amplify bass or vocals. Because I can't afford my own guitar amp, bass rig and PA system all at the same time, I was considering putting together a PA system and using that as my all-in-one amp (I'd play bass through a preamp or processor like a sansamp, guitar through another processor, and run it all into a mixer.) Any mixer and poweramp will do, but I have to decide what sort of speakers to use. Fullrange PA speakers don't sound that great for bass (in my experience,) so I was thinking of simply using bass guitar speakers. So here are my questions:

1. What type of speakers would you use in this situation? If I had the money I'd go for regular PA speakers and subwoofers, but it will be a while before I'm able to buy any subs.

2. Would the more inefficient "audiophile"-type bass speakers (Acme, older Euphonic Audio cabs) be "loud" enough for PA use with a fairly loud rock band, given a moderate amount of power? I know some people complain that they aren't efficient enough for bass in a rock band, but vocals and guitar generally don't need so much wattage to be heard.

3. I've noticed that one of the main differences between PA and bass cabs are the horn designs. It seems like people have no problem running distorted guitar through a PA, leaving the horns on and all. However, if you run guitar through a Bass cabinet, it's generally recommended that you leave the horn off. If I used bass speakers for a PA, running guitar, vocals and bass through it at the same time, would I have to leave the tweeters off?