Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using bass guitar w/ guitar amp

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Wazoo, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Wazoo

Wazoo

Feb 24, 2002
    Derby, KS
    Um..I'm just kinda curious. Like I said a couple days ago, I'm just starting to get into bass, and I was wondering..would it sound right if I used my guitar amp with a bass once i get it? I'm afraid it'd screw up my amp or something. Thanks. Later.

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well you could look back at the first reply I made at your first post. I jam through my friends Marshall half stack once and a while. It gets a really nice slap tone out of it because of its high end responce.

3. Wazoo

Wazoo

Feb 24, 2002
    Derby, KS
    so i take it that it wouldn't hurt my amp at all to use it as an amp till i get an actual bass amp?

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Well, it really depends. If its a cheap little practice amp, chances are that it wont be able to handle the low freqs bass can produce. Why dont you just point out the mistake to your aunt and then you and her can go find a good beginners (bass) amp for you.

5. Wazoo

Wazoo

Feb 24, 2002
    Derby, KS
    yeah..its a 15 watt practice amp..I'll take that as a sign to get an actual bass amp then. Thanks.

6. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I play threw my old Crate practice guitar amp with my 5 string, It sounds like arse but it does the job for jammin' at friends houses. I do recommend that you get a bass amp though.

7. Wazoo

Wazoo

Feb 24, 2002
    Derby, KS
    well, i just fixed my problem..this weekend I'm probably gonna sell my N64 (i hardly play it..i play my SNES more), and all my games and crap for it. If I get what i want out of it, I'll have enough for my bass, an amp, and a nice hardcase for it.

8. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    you must have a lot of games to buy all that from selling an N64 and games...

9. Wazoo

Wazoo

Feb 24, 2002
    Derby, KS
    18 games (about 10 with boxes), 3 controllers, 3 mem packs, a rumble pack, and a couple other things.

10. get a peavey microbass. It sounds terriffic for a little amp; it is my official "baby amp" and If you mess with my baby amp you will get a whoopin':D