1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using Boss LS-2 to blend effect and bass tone...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WhoSeyes, Oct 10, 2010.

1. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Hi, everyone.

I've found that some pedals designed for guitar (Digitech multiFX and Big Muff Pi, for example) hide my bass in the mix: you hear it pretty well when there's no gui****s around, but it disappears when everyone plays at once.

I've thought of buying a Bos LS-2 (line selector) to try to solve this problem. Would like to know if this is a good, a ver good or a terrible idea:

My plan is to connect the troublesome pedal (Big Muff Pi, for example) to the SEND/RETURN A from the LS-2 and send a plain cable (without a pedal!) from SEND B to RETURN B. I guess that blending both channels yo can get the fuzz from the BMuff and my bass tone from the cable... am I right here?

Has anyone done this or know if it'll work? Do you know any other method to keep my bass fundamentals while using a guitar scooped effect?

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    We do it all the time, it is common practice. The LS-2 is a good basic choice. There are other more expensive blenders that have features or sound quality some may prefer over the Boss. Search on "blender".

3. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Oh! I'm not a genius then :p:p

Thanks, will do the search!

4. you don't need to connect a cable across the B send and return. with the ls-2 in "a+b mix" mode, A will set the level of the pedal in your loop and B will set the level of your clean signal. I've got my old style marshall guv'nor and an EHX LBM Pi in the A loop, and use the ls-2 to blend whichever of those i switch on with my clean.

5. mr.hughes

mr.hughes

Sep 12, 2005
    Ireland
    I use a Barge Concepts VB-Jr for this (with an Electro Harmonix Mini Q-Tron). The big mix knob is very handy for on-the-fly foot changes. One very handy feature this pedal is the phase switch - especially for older EHX pedals. I have a Boss LS-2 too and it does the same job of blending just fine, provided phasing isn't an issue. Another pedal to consider is the Xotic X-Blender.

6. Another search is 'parallel looper'. More versatile than a straight blender, but can serve the same purpose.

7. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior Supporting Member

Love my LS-2. The pedal it helps with the most for me is my BassBalls, because it really sucks the low end out. Here is a video where I am running it in loop B with no pedals on in loop A.

8. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider

Groove, is it me or the link doesn't work ?

9. GrooveWarrior

OK, I fixed it.

10. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    And we are the better for it.

Really, really enjoyable. Before I realized it, I'd been through about 5 of your clips.

Nice work.

:)

11. GrooveWarrior

Thanks. Wasn't trying to hijack, just wanted to tout the love for the LS-2. Check us on Facebook for more stuff if you are interested.

12. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    errrr.... same thing.

13. To me a blender just adds a single effects loop to your dry signal (Xotic Xblender as an example), but a parallel looper allows you to run two distinct parallel loops. That's always been my distinction. But upon just performing a search I have discovered that I am the only one on the planet making that distinction.

So....Let's try dual parallel looper as a search.

14. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider

Very helpful thread, thx guys.

15. ^^^ This.

As long as your Bass (or any instrument) is plugged into the LS-2's input. Any unused loop will act as if it has the clean bass signal going through it.

16. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.

+1!

17. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I use my LS-2 a lot for this purpose. Plus, you can get unity gain as well; very useful for filters.

18. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Not to derail too much but I have just started using my LS2 with my Ric-O-Sound to blend the two pickups/effects. I have a Y cable where one end goes into loop A the other loop B. Then I run effects on either pickup solely or different effects on each pickup. I do have to plug in a dummy cord into the main input so it works, but its been pretty cool so far.

19. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I do a similar thing with my Attitude and LS-2. I run compression on both signals too and dirt on one of them. The tone is quite incredible. A hell of a lot easier and cheaper than using 2 amps as well!

BTW, if you're on mains power, you shouldn't need to plug in a dummy plug into the main input. I don't and the A+B mix works just fine.

20. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    This is how I run my BR-2.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021