Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using both channels of a rackmount compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JGFUNK, Apr 13, 2004.

1. JGFUNK

JGFUNK

Apr 12, 2004
    The author of a previous post talked about using both channels of his/her rackmount compressor on his/her bass. Has anyone done this?

Would this be accomplished by running the channels in series, or in parallel (via an A/B switch, perhaps?)? What would be the advantage of doing this?

2. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Here's what I feel is an excellent way to use a two channel compressor.

You'll need a rack mount crossover; sent the LOW side out of the crossover into one channel of the compressor and send the HIGH side out of the crossover into the other side of the compressor. Take a 2 into 1 "Y" cord from the two compressor OUT jacks into your mono preamp or amp in.

This set-up will allow you to compress your low and high bass frequencies separately at a cutover point of your choosing.

3. JGFUNK

JGFUNK

Apr 12, 2004
    Thanks! That's a cool suggestion.

Would a Sansamp RBI fall into your "preamp" classification? I haven't heard much discussion about using these together in any of the Sansamp (or compression) threads, but I'm sure many here have at least experimented with that.

I'd also be interested in any other setups suggestions that anyone might have that would take advantage of the second channel without having to add any more hardware (except cords, of course). Again, if second compressor channels could be easily put to good use, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested.

4. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i think kentoby's suggestion could more easily be done with a dual-band compressor, which does exactly that, has different compression ratios for highband and low band with selectable crossover, like the digitech bass squeeze

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I use both channels in series. The first is set with a fairly slow attack (50ms) and med release, which let's the attack portion of the note thru untouched and compresses the main part of the note (The key I think to decent bass compression). This then runs into chan 2 which has a faster attack and fast release. The Threshold is set to catch errant peaks, like slaps, pops, and generally acts like a limiter.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I use both channels.

Channel 1:
    Threshold -10
    3:1 ratio -->

FX + Noise Suppression -->

Channel 2:
    Threshold 0
    6:1 ratio -->

BBE