using cab as a subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cat, Jul 19, 2001.

1. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    the thought was just too tempting. would it be okay to hook up my cab to my computer to use as a subwoofer? i would use the EQ to set everything above 200 to 0 and boost the 30-200 range to max. would this damage my cab or amp at all?
  2. it would be ok for the cab and amp... it is just a regular out signal... I have done this before with mixed results... it was bassy but not sub woofer feeling.. but damage it will not.... music through effects pedals can be fun too.... just play around.... I did and all my stufff still works...
  3. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    well if you boost the 120 hz range it will sound a lot punchier. im just worried about sending the cab pure bass signal really loudly. it's not like playing notes on a bass, its a constant low freq sound. i guess there's not really any way to damage it though since my amp's max power is the same as my cab's RMS rating anyway.
  4. Make sure you won't be going under the minimum impedance for the amp.
  5. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't know whether using a bass speaker cab as a subwoofer is very wise, or even worth it. Most subwoofers designed for home theater systems are able to reproduce significantly lower frequencies than are capable in most bass cabinets.
  6. I built myself a power amp in a rack and then a pre-amp in a rack too. So when i am bored and want some loud music i disconnect the pre-amp and hook up my stereo to the power amp. that way the stereo acts as the pre-amp. run it through my 4x10 cab. Very bassy but who cares right! :p

7. I can sure agree with this one.

The rule is don't use the cabinet any lower than its tuned frequency. I can't think of a single commercial bass cabinet that is tuned at 30 Hz. Most are tuned in the 40's to 50's Hz range.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I did the same thing with my Carvin RC210. It was loud and all but it just didn't sound very good. Of course I was in a college dorm at the time so the guys living next to me told me to shut the thing up soon enough.
  9. Warwick i believe sells a subwoofer cab.
  10. I know Acme cabs can be used as car audio subwoofers.
  11. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I'm not so sure how safe putting a powered signal through effect pedals would be. I know I wouldn't do it. Bass cabs work fine for stereo equipment, they don't sound so great compared to my JBL's though
  12. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State
    they make explosions in computer games sound super nifty though :D

the only thing im worried about is will boosting the low frequencies on the eq very high damage the speaker or the amp? i have a hartke 3500 and im raising the eq for the first 3 to max and the rest to 0, and im also maxing out the bass contour knob so that the cab will only make low frequency noise (no voices or anything, just deep booms and such)
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As long as you don't go nuts with the volume you should be fine.
  14. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ya know....I had the shell of an old Peavey TNT (a Black Widow 15 and no head) which I used on one channel of my stereo, while the other side had a full range speaker. Those were, needless to say, lean times.

Anyway, that was by far the most musical sounding speaker setup I had on a stereo. Hifi? Hell no, but it gave the music a lot of presence. Worked very well for parties.
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Put the effects before the power amp, just like you would when you're playing bass.