1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using cheap basses at questionable venues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, May 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Who here has cheap basses that they use on gigs where u are afraid of bringing their more expensive gear due to theft or damage?

Like would you bring say a Ritter or a Ric etc... on a seedy bar gig or do u have a cheap ibanez or squier that gets tge call of duty?

As always pics are welcomed

2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I bring what I like to play. I just keep a close eye on it. Never in 53 years of gigging have I had any equipment stolen or damaged. I was on stage when a drunk attorney at a very nice venue fell on stage and destroyed the lead's SG and D28.
    And, he paid full retail to replace both.

bholder and Bodeanly like this.
  3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    1. Make friends with a "motorcycle club" and/ or members of the armed forces (or even a rugby team).
    2. Bring them and whatever instruments you want.

4. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Used to bring a Squier Jazz for my seedy/questionable venues. Never had a problem. Eventually ditched the Jazz and seedy venues, but I still watch my main like a hawk.

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Interesting you mention the bikers. We play a few biker venues. They are more adult and responsible than some other venues. I have even had them come help with load in and load out. They are always respectful, polite, and appreciative.

Chuck M, leadfingers and Bodeanly like this.
  6. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Hell yes they are! But the people out to steal my gear don't need to know this!

Torrente Cro and Gravedigger Dav like this.
  7. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I don't play those places. No harm no foul.

ajkula66 and el_Bajo_Verde like this.