Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using Cherry for bodys?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, May 23, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I saw a beautiful slab of Cherry today. 10 feet long 13-14" wide and 2" thick. It had nice light figuring all through it. I don't recall seeing it used much as a body wood. Why not? I really am tempted by it but I can't picture myself using all that Cherry it is enough for 5 bodies and they won't cut it. :( it is all or nothing......t

2. Alembic uses it sometimes. The one negative comment that I can remember hearing was that it was fairly heavy...

Mike

3. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Did you get any pics of it?

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Cherry? Yes!

I have used it for bass bodies, and I think it's wonderful stuff.
    It sounds a bit like hard maple, (the relative qualities of wood's sound being debatable!), and it is really easy to work. I love the colour, and it looks nice under an oil finish. I have lately been using some "steamed" cherry that is a lot darker in colour. I think it is treated with vinegar (?) to fume the wood -the colour goes all the way through the board, and looks great.

LM

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Get it, man!
    Cherry is great body wood, no doubt. It's rather frequently used as core/back with some more extreme wood on top, but some free luthiers do solid cherry bodies. They turn out great!
    Just buy it and keep the rest. Either you build more of it, or you trade it for some other exclusive material later on. (If you had been on this side of the planet, I'd have helped you out of that misery rather quickly...)

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I will try to get photos today. If I spend that kind of $$ on it the wife will shoot me :bag: It is in the rough but hopefully the photos will show the figure....t

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  8. There is an article in one of the woodworking magazines this month about the virtues of cherry wood for furniture, even showing some figured cherry. It might be worth checking out.

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Ken Smith has used it for body cores.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  11. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm sure a couple of us could help you use up the piece. At 2" thick I'd love chunk to bookmatch and make a few tops. If the figuring's not popping like it should I wouldn't be hurt by a solid body, either.

-Nate

12. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I took photos today at lunch I will try to post them tonight. Can't do it from work.T

13. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    I love cherry. i built... well half a body out of it. it's a great wood. reletively easy to work (as compared to other hard woods :rolleyes: ) and i looks like a million bucks if you finish it right. I guess normally people put on a wilder looking top, but i think that with a good deep red stain and either an oil or polyurithane finish, it's gracefully simplistic. i highly reccomend it.

14. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    All right I will try and post photos what do you all think? E-Mail me if you want bigger photos....t

15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I don't know what I am doing wrong I see all sorts of huge photos posted on this forum but these are as big as the system lets me put up. I am sorry but I can't figure it out.....tom

16. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    TB has a limit of 600 pixels by 600 pixels when uploading photos into your space here and sticking it in a thread. The bigger photos you have seen are hosted somewhere else on the net, like if your ISP gives you some web space, and dropped into the thread by using the "img" and "/img" tags (as in between [] brackets like the quote tags you see).

17. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
  18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (enlosed in "img" & "/img" tags)

19. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks I guess I am just thick!....t

20. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    DON'T STAIN IT!!!!! Cherry should be allowed to develop a natural patina......After 6 months, maybe a little more, you will know what I'm saying. I built a sewing table years ago(when I was making period furniture) and I've regretted staining the piece with Lockwoods Antique Cherry aniline dye since. The aniline is a beautiful stain, but if I would have just left it natural, the color would have been fantastic!(like the patinas of my Shaker reproductions)