Using delay pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, May 10, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I am looking for an explanation and practical application of the use of delays as a bass player. What sort of effect is this?

What are the various options (let's say a short delay versus a long delay) and when do they come in handy?

What does it allow you to do as far as the dynamics of a bassline?

Not super interested in 'this one' versus 'that one' (although that's fine as well) but more so, why might I consider using one and if I did have one, how might I use it?

Thanks all
  2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Best example that comes to mind is Limp Bizket - Down another day

The main riff is bass and delay sounds very good, although I've only been able to replicate it using an analog delay not a digital one.

Hope this helps
  3. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    One more robot by flaming lips is a good example of delay on bass. Though I'm not 100% sure what your question is.
  4. Jaco uses DD in a great bass solo that I have as an mp3. I can't attach an mp3 so search Limewire or Kazaa for:
    "Jaco Pastorius - bass solo". He uses the hold feature to loop a melody that he solos over... very nice! And yes, I do purchase my music... support the arts my friends, they add colour to our lives.
  5. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    a lot of pedals like this require that you buy them and let them inspire you.

Tool's "The Grudge"'s opening bass part has delay, and then when it goes to the more melodic line he uses delay again.

That's generally how I use it, cause I play a lot of melodic solo riffs.

I couldn't imagine using it on lower strings though, unless I have the repeat down to one time or something, so it doesn't get muddy. Generally, I have repeats at 3.

Get something like an Ibanez DE7 (What I have), they arn't too expensive, and it'll allow you to experiment, and if you don't like it, you won't lose too much money from eBay.
  6. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I've not done too much with delay, but I think you'll find that there are two broad categories:
    * Reverb
    * Echo

Reverb gives you the effect of playing in a big room. Echo gives you, well, you know...
  7. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Pink Floyd- "One of These Days"
  8. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Check out the song "Back to India" by Victor Wooten.

Sexiest delay effect evar!111111!!!1@!~1!!one

Also check out "The Carpenter and the Dainty Bride" by Primus. It has a really long intro, but bear through it.
  9. can't forget "no shelter" by rage agaisnt the machine...
    as for another dynamic, listen to RATM's ashes in the fall, at the end, that is another way to use it.
    i like to use my delay for volume swells, similar to the intro to in audioslave's "i am the highway"
  10. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Do delay pedals allow you to record a brief part and then play it every time you hit the pedal? I saw "These Arms are Snakes" a couple weeks ago, and the bass player did this. So, while he was playing synth, he was hitting a pedal to loop a bass part. I wasn't sure what kind of pedal it was.
  11. This was more likely a higher end dalay w/true bypass they usually have two buttons to step on. one that will turn the effect off one that will hold the sound but give you the ability to bypass the recorded effect. You get these type with upto 4 secs of memory. possibly more I just haven't seen any. you would also be able to play a second bass line or solo over this recorded effect. It might not sound like it but I know what I'm talkin about I used to have a old-school blue Digi-tech pedal like what I described but it was stolen about 7 years ago.
  12. some delay pedals have a loop or hold function. you can basically record a part and then loop it over and over again. Many people find that quickly stopping and then starting it over and over again is much easier to sync up with the rest of the band then trying to get the loop perfect and have everyone match its "perfect" tempo. Some delay/looper pedals (the line 6 delay modeler for one) even has a 'play once' feature so you dont need to double click stop then start everytime you want to play the loop.
  13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I own MANY delays, and I just got a Magic Stomp. So now I have roughly 45 fully programmed delays at my disposal (just in the MS)...

I use delay as an istrument more than an effect... If you care to hear what delay can do for bass, listen to some of my stuff in my sig.