Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using DI box with active pickups - good or bad?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lunar_special, Sep 30, 2004.

1. lunar_special

lunar_special

Sep 30, 2004
    Thank you for reading this. I'll try to get to the point:

I'm looking to buy a new elec. bass and some "thing" that can process my signal before I run it directly into a mixer for recording OR live performance. I've considered some of the cheaper digitech modelding pedals, the Behringer v-amp, and various DI boxes for the above mentioned "thing".

I'm heavily leaning towards getting a DI box because the other modeling/multi-effects units require you to scroll sequentially through your presets to arrive at your desired tone. So, swithing your tone between a verse and a chorus could take several seconds. This wouldn't be much of an issue in the studio, but could be a deal-breaker for live performance.

My real questions are these:

If I get a elec. bass that is "active", is there any use in getting a DI box? Would I have an impedance matching problem if I did use the DI box?

Can I run an "active" bass direct into PA for live performance or recording and get a good sound without the DI box?

Am I the only person that thinks the < $150 multi-effects pedals (digitech, zoom, etc) would be almost useless in a live performance unless you had planned the exact sequence of all your presets before the show? Seems to me, if you're gonna be stuck playing the whole show on just one preset, then you may as well just get a decent DI box.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the whole world (active or passive basses) goes into the pa or recording studio via DI boxes

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's what you gotta do. Active into a DI works great.

4. lunar_special

lunar_special

Sep 30, 2004
    Great, thanks for the input!