Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using Double Stops

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tplyons, Oct 29, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, there are a whole bunch of threads about what is a double stop, but I know, so how do you use them? Can you mention any songs where they're used? And please, no "chord/not a chord" arguments. :p

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Steely Dan - intro to King of the World. Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side! ;)

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some '70s R&B-

"How Long(Betcha Got A Chick On The Side)"-The Pointer Sisters
    "Person To Person"-Average White Band
    "Love Your Life"-AWB
    "I Heard That!"-Quincy Jones(Chuck Rainey on bass)

"Love Your Life" uses the ROOT + the 3rd...played on the "D" & "G" strings 'around' beats 3 & 4. The tune has a G-minor tonality(IIRC); the double stops are Bb/D & A/C...which leads/resolves back onto the "G" note on beat 1. Make sense?

The remaining 3 tunes above use the standard 3rd/7th(no ROOT) config...e.g. "D"(12th fret on "D"-string/Ab(13th fret on "G"-string).
    Oh yeah, don't forget to slide UP a half step.
    IIRC, The Pointers' "How Long" has the doublestop happenin' at 'about' beats "& of 3" & "4"(leads into beat 1 of the following bar)..."Person To Person"(IIRC) has the doublestops on beats "& of 2" & "3"(Beat "4" is a rest).

What would be fun-
    Make up a groove with the doublestops in the typical place(looks like at the end of the bar)...then, prcatice moving the doublestop to various locations(i.e. invert the groove so they occur at the beginning of the bar/figure).

How 'bout Jaco's "Liberty City"?
    ...double stops with OPEN string(s) as a 2nd voice.

4. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Jason Newsted uses a lot of double stops all throughout ... And Justice for All. And I end up using them a lot to add dynamics to my playing..
    Peace.

5. No offense meant, but how the heck can you hear that?!?

Steve Harris uses lots of double/triple-stops.

Also, Tony Levin's bass line on Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up", and and it's way up front in the mix! :cool:

6. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Justin Chancellor plays the opening to "Schism" with double stops between the 5th and 12th frets on D and G strings. Jaco did that a lot, like the opening phrases of "Chromatic Fantasy" at the end of those super fast runs. Flea does them on "Bloodsugarsexmagik" during the verse.

7. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

john paul jones and john entwistle both used them i know. the tunes escape me though.

as far as use for them, there's a song my band did (2guitars, bass, drums) where for most of the song the guitars are pretty much playing the same thing, but then one drops out to do a solo at this sort of big dynamic moment, and when recording i was asked to do the main riff in double stops just as the solo was starting. could i hear it in the recording? no, d-mmit. but oh well.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Stanley Clarke - School Days is a famous one! Main riff is all in double stops.

9. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    there is a book called grooves for electric bass by mel bay ( i think). It has double stops all over the place

10. Joy division- 24Hrs, love will tear us apart, candidate
    New Order- age of consent, dreams never end, ceremony

the Cure- pictures of you, sinking, the same deep water as you, a thousand hours, disintegration, from the edge of the deep green sea

Simple Minds- someone up there likes you, king is white and in the crowd, veldt, calling your name

Japan- in vogue, sons of pioneers

The Smiths- heaven knows I'm miserable now
    Morrissey- November spawned a monster

Megadeth- poison was the cure, five magics

Rage Against the Machine- know your enemy

Psychedelic Furs- sleep comes down

Iron Maiden- rhime of the ancient mariner, to tame a land, from here to eternity, afraid to shoot strangers, fear of the dark

Led Zeppelin- when the levee breaks (fifths under the bridge)

11. I was looking for someone to mention that:)

12. I cannot believe that both JimK and Bruce posted in this thread and no mention of Steely Dan's "Josie" (another tune with Rainey on bass) has been made.

You guys are slipping... :spit:

13. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Gladys Knight's don't burn down bridges :bassist: