Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using Effects for punk/ska

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marineman227, Jan 6, 2004.

1. I was just wondering if anyone uses any effects while playing punk or ska style music. I have a new Digitech BP200 coming tomorrow as an early birthday present so i was just wondering if it'll be any use when i play normally or just when i play with my buddy that is obsessed with metallica and that style music. Thanks

2. Ahha! I used a few effects in my Punk/ Funk/ Ska/ Dub band Shemale From Hell, mostly to give me something different. My amp was set up for the traditional bass and treble eq you hear in a lot of ska and punk bands. But at the same time I set my MXR 10 band to cut out all the highs and boost my lows for a dub sound. As for distortion I used a modified mongoose fuzz, I find that buzzing arbitrary distortion has a more musical effect with the instrument set up (assuming your guitarist is a pothead strumming triads and you have horns). As for matching up with the horns, nothing beats a good envelope filter.

My friend Rick from GDB has a really simple setup and he gets a gigantic dub tone. He sets his eq flat, compresses the signal then runs it through a 2x15 cab.

My effect setup was more for a Fishbone style of ska... If you want something more melodic, just get yourself a chorus and delay.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    an envelope filter releases your soul.

4. yo tengo pelo

yo tengo pelo

Dec 14, 2003
    hanover ,VA
    you really dont need effects to play punk. i think the best way to get a good punk tone is to tweak your amp to get that kind of grinding trebly tone. you may also use some overdrive but its not truly necessary