Using Effects for punk/ska

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marineman227, Jan 6, 2004.

1. I was just wondering if anyone uses any effects while playing punk or ska style music. I have a new Digitech BP200 coming tomorrow as an early birthday present so i was just wondering if it'll be any use when i play normally or just when i play with my buddy that is obsessed with metallica and that style music. Thanks

2. Ahha! I used a few effects in my Punk/ Funk/ Ska/ Dub band Shemale From Hell, mostly to give me something different. My amp was set up for the traditional bass and treble eq you hear in a lot of ska and punk bands. But at the same time I set my MXR 10 band to cut out all the highs and boost my lows for a dub sound. As for distortion I used a modified mongoose fuzz, I find that buzzing arbitrary distortion has a more musical effect with the instrument set up (assuming your guitarist is a pothead strumming triads and you have horns). As for matching up with the horns, nothing beats a good envelope filter.

My friend Rick from GDB has a really simple setup and he gets a gigantic dub tone. He sets his eq flat, compresses the signal then runs it through a 2x15 cab.

My effect setup was more for a Fishbone style of ska... If you want something more melodic, just get yourself a chorus and delay.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    an envelope filter releases your soul.

4. i use 0 effects.

5. yo tengo pelo

yo tengo pelo

Dec 14, 2003
    hanover ,VA
    you really dont need effects to play punk. i think the best way to get a good punk tone is to tweak your amp to get that kind of grinding trebly tone. you may also use some overdrive but its not truly necessary