Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using Effects in to bypass GK Pre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by john keates, Nov 21, 2004.

1. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Hi there,

I have had my Gallien Kruger 400RB for a few months now and I just got round to trying out a tip that I read when I was researching what to get - I bypassed the pre-amp by going direct from another pre into the effects return and using a little boost.

The pre that I am using is actually a Boss ME-50b. I am quite happy with the sound as it is more clear and even (to my ears) and this is what I like. I never used any of the voicing filters or eq in the GK and the eq on the Boss has the advantage that I can switch from one setting to another with my feet.

Is anyone else here doing this (going streight into the effects in)? There are two things that concern me:

1. There is no clip light so is it possible that I will be clipping the amp without knowing it?

2. Will the 3pin DI work if I am not going into the GK pre? That was a nice option for the sound guy at gigs.

I have heard that the Sansamp sounds nice going into the effects in but also that it is 'mid scoopy' One of the reasons for me to bypass the GK pre is that I like lots of mid so does anyone know of other options that I could use?

Thanks for any comments on this topic

2. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Bump

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    1. True, the clip light is monitoring the preamp input on the GK so you wouldn't have a visual indicator of whether or not it was clipping, you'd have to go by how it sounds. Clipping usually has an unpleasant distortion kind of sound... You should be able to tell pretty much by listening.

2. I'd be willing to bet that the DI WILL NOT function as it's using the signal either right before the preamp or right after the preamp depending on the pre/post switch.

The SansAmp is "mid scoopy" if you lean heavy on the bass and treble controls... if you set them pretty much flat the mids are fine.

- Frank.

4. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Thanks for the reply uglybassplayer, you are beautiful at heart. :smug:

I also suspect that the DI won't work if I am not going into the pre.

Today I tried using both of the outputs from the Me50B, one going into the pre and one into the effects in hoping that I would get the best of both worlds but the pre didn't seem to be picking anything up (the eq had no effect).

Never mind.