1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using effects loops

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DanGouge, Aug 30, 2008.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If I get a looper pedal with two or more loops, what should go into what loops? Should I put the pedals I tend to use together (like if I use a particular distortion with chorus a lot, I'd put them together), or should I put types of pedals together (all filters in one loop, all distortions in another).

I can think of pros and cons for both ways. What would you do? FWIW I have:
    -Fulltone Bass-Drive
    -Wounded Paw Attack Goat
    -Tech 21 VT Bass
    -Dunlop 105Q
    -EH Qtron
    -EBS Unichorus

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I think you answered your own question. You can make an argument for a number of different arrangements because whatever arrangement works for you is the right one.

At present the only loop I have is a blend loop so I've got the two pedals on my board that lose lows in that loop.

Personally, I like having effects combos in the loop so that I can turn them on pre-song and then switch that loop on and off. I used to have my fuzz and filter setup that way.

The only thing I'd say for sure is that it's a good idea to have any pedals with a poor bypass (*cough* Moog *cough*) in the loop. Outside of that, find what works for you. Loopers are a great tool, but they make for a LOT more experimentation when putting a board together.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's not an easy question. So many variables. One way would be to put all your "noisy" pedals, all on one loop so you keep a clean signal, then whatever else in the other. Or certain fx you might want to turn on "all at once". There are more combinations than I could possibly list. Think about what you want to accomplish, and go from there. It'll change often the first few days, just enjoy yourself.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Definitely get a looper w/ two or more loops (www.loop-master.com)!

I bought a single effect one and ended up upgrading to a two channel looper...

I run my pitch shifting, delay, and synth in one channel and all my OD/fuzz in the other channel. It makes life SO much easier to be able to set up effects in a channel rather than step on three effects as quickly as possible (aka - how people break knobs/sliders...not me...other people haha).