Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using foreign amps (issues with power, transformers, etc.)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I've noticed that a lot of foreign-made amps (EBS, Glockenklang, etc.) are fairly hard to find used in the US. I was wondering, is it possible to buy used bass amps (via ebay or some other service) from someone in a European country, or would it require some sort of modification to conform to US power specifications?

2. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello! I "unfortunately" can help you :)
    USA wiring is different from Europe wiring... yours is 110v 60hz (if I remember well), ours is 220v 50hz (I could be wrong). If you buy a pre-amp or an amp in Europe, you'll need a transformer to use it there.
    I've got a Demeter preamp in the USA... well, it's really light, but if I wanna use it, I must carry a heavy wiring transformer, that takes 220v and changes it in 110v. But if you know a good repair man or electrician, he'll probably can change the inner tranformer of the amp. But remember that an amp need a lot of power (and then a HUGE transformer!). I hope this helps...