Using foreign amps (issues with power, transformers, etc.)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Jun 20, 2002.

  1. Golem II

    Golem II

    Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I've noticed that a lot of foreign-made amps (EBS, Glockenklang, etc.) are fairly hard to find used in the US. I was wondering, is it possible to buy used bass amps (via ebay or some other service) from someone in a European country, or would it require some sort of modification to conform to US power specifications?
  2. dreadhead


    Feb 1, 2002
    Hello! I "unfortunately" can help you :)
    USA wiring is different from Europe wiring... yours is 110v 60hz (if I remember well), ours is 220v 50hz (I could be wrong). If you buy a pre-amp or an amp in Europe, you'll need a transformer to use it there.
    I've got a Demeter preamp in the USA... well, it's really light, but if I wanna use it, I must carry a heavy wiring transformer, that takes 220v and changes it in 110v. But if you know a good repair man or electrician, he'll probably can change the inner tranformer of the amp. But remember that an amp need a lot of power (and then a HUGE transformer!). I hope this helps...