Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using GK mb200 as a preamp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevinlee, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    How could I use a GK mb200 as a preamp? Could I take the line out and send it into a seperate power amp? Would that bypass the GK's power section? I got this amp to use mainly on occasions that I didn't need a bigger rig. But I was thinking in a pinch, if my main amp was down I could use this preamp into a power amp. I really like the preamp section of this amp, and it does get quite loud on it's own with an extension cab. But I was just wondering if I could run a seperate power amp with it if the need arose.

Thanks
    Kevinlee

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yep, I've done it. Exactly as you describe. Worked fine, sounded good, and covered my but when my big rig was down for a warranty repair. Hold on to that sucker, great for home practice, great for small gigs and rehearsals, and fine for a preamp run through another power amp.

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Yea I went ahead and tryed it out coming out of one the XLR jacks on the back into a power amp and it sounded REAL good. I agree this is a great little amp. I still can't get over how much sound it puts out just on it's own.

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I bought an MB150, about 10 years ago and wondered about the same thing. So I called GK and left a message on their tech support voice mail. 20 minutes later I had a voice mail waiting for me from Rich Kruger himself telling me that he designed the amp to be used solely as a preamp if need be. No damage done with no speakers hooked up.

I was impressed by the call as well as the response.

5. As a side note, this plan will save you from having to push the RCB's output. When they go, they go dramatically and permanently.
    Have fun,
    KFS