Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using Guitar Amps For Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkshined, Oct 24, 2004.

1. darkshined

darkshined

Oct 2, 2004
    Midgar
    i am unfortunate enough to have bought a guitar amp (fender frontman 15 G) out of sheer desperation and i was wondering if there is a way of adjusting the settings opn the amp to get the optimum bass realistic sound. thanks.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the problem with guitar amps are the speakers. (Ignore the fact that the preamp might not be voiced well for bass or the power section won't be powerful enough). Guitar speakers are specifically designed for guitar while bass speakers are much closer to those designed for PA. The speakers in guitar amps/cabs generally cannot handle the frequecny range of bass and tend to break when pushed even moderately hard by the low end of a bass guitar. Sorry. :meh:

3. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Well the bottom line is that guitar amps break when used with basses, to avoid this keep the lows dows and dont crank up the volume to much

4. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You have two options when using a guitar amp for bass. Get a crappy sound and break the amp. Prevent breaking the amp by keeping a low volume and virtually eliminating the bass making your sound super crappy.

5. darkshined

darkshined

Oct 2, 2004
    Midgar
    So either way. i am ****ed:( well i'm getting a marshall B25 for christmas anyway £129. yay! and i may aswell sell my guitar one.

6. I'm using a Peavey Audition 110 guitar combo at home just to at least play with volume. It sounds okay I guess. I think it could break on me if I pushed it too much, and the bass usually craps out at a certain volume.

7. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I use a Orange OR120 '74, it sounds great. I like the warm tube sound that's comming from it.

8. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I don't want to hyjack the thread but I have been using an amplifier since i started playing bass about 4-5 years ago now! I was just wondering if anyone actually knows if it is a guitar or bass amp! :meh:

The only marking on it are of DH-75B! Thats it no brand names or anything!

If this i totally obscure(sp?) then please ignore! ;)

Thanks anywho!

BTW good choice on the Marshall!!!