Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using guitar pedal on bass, bad for the pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Just a quick question. My keyboardist has a distortion pedal for his guitar when he plays alone or uses the guitar in the band setting (which is rare). Say I wanted to use his (guitar) pedal for a song, on bass, would it be bad for the pedal in any way? I'd just be looking for a bit of distortion for 1 cover (RATM) which doesn't really justify me buying a pedal I'll never use. However he insists that it could do wrong to his pedal and I don't want to risk it without asking you guys first.

Would plugging a bass into a guitar distortion pedal hurt the pedal itself in any way?

2. it shouldn't hurt the pedal as far as i know, it probably won't sound right without a few tweaks to your eq settings, mostly because the guitar pedal is made to distort higher tones, u may not even get nay distortion on the low end, i play a guitar through a bass distortion pedal sometimes and it hasn't done any harm to the pedal but i don't get ne distorted tone on higer notes

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no reason it should hurt the pedal in any way - just be prepared for it maybe not sounding so good.

4. Yeah, it shouldnt hurt it one bit. if it was a guitar amp, then you should reconsider but its a pedal and shouldnt be harmed in any way by it. in fact I use my Digitech RP300 from my guitar and use it on my bass, all you gotta do it adjust the settings.

Bstguitarist
    :bassist:

5. Ok, sounds good. Thanks. Just out of curiosity, how should I be prepared to adjust my settings in case I do use it?

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the pedal might not have the full frequency response range necessary for bass, so you might have to add more low end eq to compensate.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not bad for the pedal, just sometimes the ears.

With the minimal voltage sent as a guitar signal, you won't damage the effect.

8. Absolutely not. It wont hurt a thing. Trust your ears. I use Boss stompbox pedals exclusively and I dont own one that is "Bass Specific". I love the old CH-3 Chorus (Japanese made) and my "Barney" purple Flanger! Anyhow they have served me well for over a decade!