1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using half of my 810E?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendgenerator, Oct 16, 2010.

1. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    On the back of my Ampeg 810 cab there's 2 "dual mode" inputs, does this mean that I could power half of the cab? I'm a bit confused by the wording on the panel. I'm playing a relatively small gig tonight, and the 810 is my only cab.

Btw, I can't access the search function of the site via my iPhone, or I would have searched. ;)

2. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Yeah, you can use it as a 4x10. I have that cab too, but I've never used it that way.

3. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Just use that cab normally and keep your volume low. I've done it many times with success:bassist:

4. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Which is it, you have or haven't? Your posts contradict each other.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    If you were to run only four of the eight, you'd effectively be placing a big, (mostly) hollow box under a 4x10 cab. Or a pair of smaller hollow boxes. (Depends on how that cab's constructed.)
    In either case, certainly not "best practices" if you know what I mean. But if it sounds ok, then, eh...

6. kranahan

kranahan Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    you can search tb on the iphone. i do it everyday!

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    IIRC, you plug into the top 1/4" jack to use the top 4 speakers only, and at an 8 ohm load - any of the bottom 4 jacks powers all 8 speakers for a 4 ohm load...

- georgestrings

8. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No they don't.

He's never used only one half of the cab, but he had used the entire cab at low volume.

9. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Yeah, this. :meh:

10. Why would you haul the 8x10 and only use it as a 4x10?????

Are you feeling ok?

11. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    What will happen is the other speakers will work as a passive radiator. I have seen this in a few older home stereo speakers. I have to ask the same question as NJ why? Just turn down.

12. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I can't. Not with the search button anyways.

13. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    When I first got my svt-4 pro I made the mistake of connecting the cab to only the top part which defeats the pont of having the 810-E, It makes more sense to use say the Svt400T and run it to the 810E top and bottom 200 watts each at least you are using the whole cab.....Finally you could always cut the 810 in half and call it a night....like I'm doing..............................:p

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Not when the driver pairs are in separate compartments.

Exactly.
    So?

15. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I ended up using all 8 last night, and kept the volume respectable. I was worried about being too loud, but it wasn't an issue.

16. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Using half an 810 as a stage monitor to keep the stage volume down is a GOOD IDEA. Yeah, carrying around an 810 for small shows and not having another cab is a the contradicting point, but who has an 810, a 410, and something smaller in their vehicle for EVERY show? Sometimes you walk into a venue and realize, "oh crap, my rig is going to quite loud and bug the soundguy tonight".

The other GOOD IDEA here is the bass player can use the top half of the 810 and hear himself well without blasting crazily into the audience. Isn't that what it's all about? Help the soundguy control the mix, and still hear yourself?

17. That's what the volume control is for! :D

18. I'm also interested in this. Why does it have dual inputs?

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    It's two 410's. You can do one amp into the top half and another amp into the bottom half. Possibly for a distorted/effected tone in the top half 410 and the bottom half has the clean tone. Most of us use the entire unit for the shear sound/projection of eight 10 inch speakers.

Or you could do as I stated earlier, just use the top half on stages where using the entire 810 is going to be too much.

20. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's actually not. Running half the cab halves the height of the radiating plane, and that doubles vertical dispersion. You don't want that, as too much sound goes where you don't want it, making room volume more difficult to control. IMO there are few justifications for an 8x10 today, but one is the superior vertical pattern control that they offer.