Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using headphones for practice

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Feb 10, 2005.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey guys we want to convert to using headphones for band practice. We have already decided to box the drummer in with plastic booth. But rather than that i need to know the best route to go to headphones for practicing! We just would like to have a great mix. Me and the drummer do alot of fills together and off timing stuff but i will admitt that at band practice me and him have a hard time hearing each other good enough. Me and the drummer have played for about 13 years together and 7 without anyone else! But now that we have taken in 2 guitar players and a singer its just clogged with nasty noise and the drums are just muffled out. We dont practice in a large enough area to justify setting up mains. We just use monitors at this point. Me and the drummer have spent alot of time in recording studios and would like the mix that we got when we recorded the drums mix and bass mix. Any ideas of this? Pros-cons?

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    We use Vic Firth 'phones for practice. They isolate to the MAAAX, have noticeable high-end and low-end rolloff, are quite inefficient (you pretty much have to crank a little behringer headphone amp to make'em really loud, but we can keep them quiet even WITH our wildman drummer in the room), and they pinch your ears like you were wearing a bear trap.

Man, do they isolate though!

Well - that's my experience...

Joe

3. I haven't done what you are considering, but I have seen some gear that might help.

The OZ AUDIO QMIX HM-6 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER is a multi-input multi-output mixer, designed to allow each band member to hear the monitor mix they want. I googled it and found it for 280 USD.

Koss 'the plug' earbuds are personal stereo type earphones, but based around an earplug, so they give pretty good isolation. We have a noisy vacuum cleaner, and I don't have to turn up my personal CD player when I vacuum wearing these phones. Whether the same holds true for a 120dB drummer remains to be seen. :D