Using just a cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sk8rboymc, Mar 30, 2003.

1. sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003

My band has just recently started doing shows that weren't at someones house. So I need something bigger than my Crate 1x15 combo(which i hate) the problem is that I don't exactly have enough cash for a nice combo, or a cab/head. but I do have enough for something like an Avatar 4x10. The problem is that I can get just the cabinet, but can I use just the cabinet? or do i have to stick with my crate until i can get a decent head to go along with it?

Thank you very much

2. Well, you are going to need something to power it.
  3. sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003
    ok, any recommendations?
  4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Your Crate maybe? I'm assuming its got an external speaker jack, and is at least 100 watts, though.
  5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    Look into used heads on the classifieds here, eBay,, and local shops that sell used music gear. Some brands that tend to be good deals used are AMP, Peavey, Hartke, Carvin and GK.
  6. sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003
    would you recommend the avatar, with the head you suggested, or the Backline cab/head??
  7. sk8rboymc

Mar 28, 2003
    btw: thank you all very very much for helping me. I don't really know much about amps.
  8. Being a GK employee, I couldn't really give you an unbiased opinion on that, but you should be able to sample the GK backline rig at your local Guitar Center.