1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using just one noiseless j pup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by beyondat, Jan 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. beyondat

beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Sorry if it's a dumb question as my electronics knowledge is limited but I have a j bass that is really noisy when the pups are soloed. I am using copper nylon strings which aren't adding to the noise as far as I can tell. My question is would putting a hum cancelling j pup in the bridge only cancel the noise or would I have to replace the neck pup also? I'm pretty sure that I would have to use 2 hum cancelling pups, just wanted to make sure.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    A single hum cancelling J should work fine alone, but putting a hum cancelling J in the bridge and leaving the single coil in the neck (assuming that's what you mean?) is going to hum.

3. morgan138

morgan138

Dec 10, 2007
    Boston
    If only one of the pickups is hum-cancelling, that pickup soloed will be quiet but you'll get hum when you use both pickups at once. Same as a basic P/J setup.

4. beyondat

beyondat

Jan 13, 2008
    Bronx, New York
    Thank you.