1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using Kelstone as a bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GuyDenruyter, May 21, 2011.

1. GuyDenruyter

GuyDenruyter

May 21, 2011
    Belgium
    Dear fellow forummembers,

I am totally new on this forum, so I hope my question is appropriate here...

I am a Kelstone player (besides playing 'regular' bass guitars of course). When I play, I usually use my left hand for bass, and right hand for chords or melody.

However, I was wondering how other forum members think about how well a Kelstone would fit to play just the bass (either, with just one hand, or with both hands)?

Best regards,
    Guy

2. What is a Kelstone?
    (googling...)
    Edit: Hmm- very interesting...

3. OH- and welcome to TB. :cool:

4. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Wasn't this a thread already? (Legitimate question, not troll)

5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009

Taping basses do not seem to be discussed much around here. The Kelstone (in spite of their website hype) is neither new nor revolutionary. The Chapman Stick (basically the same tapping-bass kind of thing) has been around for quite some time. It has it's dedicated aficionados, but it's never seemed to have caught on as a bass instrument. (attitude of company toward suing people didn't help)

I think the problem is that tapping-basses haven't caught on is because most people who are interested in bass tapping (Not me, but I've met a few who were really good!) just tap on a regular bass usually with a high number of strings.

I am also curious as to how much bass tapping goes on among TBers. Any stick players here?

6. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i tap a bit (not that good at it, it's just a lot of fun), do use a 6 string (lulz... NOT a "high number of strings". you have to look at Jean Baudin for that) and get lost on a Stick. i've only played one a few times though. they are EXPENSIVE.

the Kellstone looks kind of interesting though.

7. GuyDenruyter

GuyDenruyter

May 21, 2011
    Belgium
    Thanks for the opinions so far! The thing is, when I play bass on my Kelstone, I do not always tap. I 'tap' if I want to play with just one hand, but when I have both hands available, I play on it more or less as if I would play on a bass guitar. Sometimes, also a mix between some tapping/sliding and 'regular' playing.

8. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I play the Stick - have for MANY years. I am completely comfortable with the tuning method.

Absolutely NOT interested in tapping on a bass guitar - what for? :D

Also play upright and bass synth.

9. GuyDenruyter

GuyDenruyter

May 21, 2011
    Belgium
    Hi Stickplayer,

Nice to know I'm not alone :)

Do you always tap on the chapman stick, or also sometimes strum the strings, as on a regular bass? I tend to combine both techniques on the Kelstone (as to get a combination of the warm, strum sound and the crisper tap sound).

10. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    I had a refurb'd Ironwood Chapman Stick(tm)(r)(we'llsueyourass) for less than a year 10 years or so ago. I just couldn't make the switch from "bassist" to "stickist" the tunings just got the better of me. Honestly I never devoted the time to it to get any good, or even learn to cheat. I still tap my basses from time to time, usually in a Roscoe Beck style comping or less frequently in a Billy Sheehan doodly-noodle-y-doodly-doo thing when someone is annoying me in a rehearsal or in a music store. Those are the exceptions. My place is just laying a fat groove... that and tapping are usually mutually exclusive.

As far as the Kelstone goes, it's an interesting instrument... I like the all 4ths all the time tuning... that would be easier to my bass-centric head around. The tones sound good and it's definitely different. I could see myself giving that a shot if I lived in an area completely devoid of musical possibilities (hey... wait a second)

In all seriousness, I've thought of picking up the Stick again when I got too long in the tooth to play the styles of music I enjoy... when that time comes I may look up the Kelstone and see what it could do for me :)

You know who'd rock the hell out on one? Robert Randolph. He already does things on a lap steel that are inhuman.

The bassist ain't no slouch either.

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    99.999% of the time I tap.

The best thing I did, when I was learning the Stick, was to forget about trying to play like a bassist. I approached playing the Stick more like piano playing - two hand independence.

12. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    That thing is kinda cute. I used to play that way when I was in high school. I had a clam shell case that I could just open it up and play my bass like that while I was waiting for the bus (I had one of those bass walkman things too... forget what it was called but it was made by Tom Scholz I think).

I have a couple of solo pieces that use a similar technique.

l.

I can tell the guy doing the demo has been playing one of these for awhile by his muting technique.

13. GuyDenruyter

GuyDenruyter

May 21, 2011
    Belgium
    That's indeed the spirit, and one of the reasons I like the Kelstone so much.

14. GuyDenruyter

GuyDenruyter

May 21, 2011
    Belgium
    That guy Robert Randolph is indeed super! He would indeed love the Kelstone - I think....