1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using Line 6 guitar amp for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassion, Nov 14, 2010.

1. bassion

bassion

Jul 29, 2009
    Hi,

Can you use a guitar amp (http://line6.com/spideriii15/) with a bass guitar (practicing at home only) or will I blow the amp/damage it?
    A store guy says I can't but I'm not sure if that's only from a sales point of vies :)

thanks

2. standupbassman

standupbassman

Jul 7, 2009
    if you keep the volume low it should be fine. I plug into a Fender 15w guitar amp some times. Just don't crank it and the amp will handle it.

3. I would tell you to do a search, but this is easy enough to answer.

The amplifier itself will be fine. The speaker, however, will be extremely vulnerable to damage, especially if that's back of the cabinet is open.

However, if you will only be using it for quiet home practicing, it may be okay. I actually use a Roland guitar combo as my practice amp. Can't turn up, of course, and definitely can't boost the lows. Be very cautious with the "low" or "bass" knob, and also with the volume, and you'll probably be okay. If you hear weird noises, turn down.

4. acedabone

acedabone

Nov 11, 2010
    standupbassman is correct. I used to play guitar before I found my true calling. I used my guitar amp for home rehearsing. But keep it low. I used to have 2 guitar amps. I repeat.... 2. lol

5. OtterOnBass

OtterOnBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    No. A 15-watt, 8-inch combo is not sufficient for bass. You will be unhappy with the
    sound and end up blowing out the speaker.

Bass requires large wavelengths of sound, which in turn require a lot of air movement
    from the speaker. This means that speakers that move bass have to be big and move
    a lot, requirements that guitar speakers don't have and don't fill. Also, with all this
    moving, the speaker requires more power, so the amplifier has to have more power
    than guitar amplifiers, just to match the same volume as a guitar.

6. why not just buy a cheap bass combo?
    You can get small ashdown combos MADE for bass for cheaper than that.

7. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I would actually like to try the Mesa Transatlantic guitar head with a PowerHouse 1x12 or 2. I think that might be pretty cool. Sorry to take that OT. The other folks are right: You could damage the guitar speaker, not so much the head.

8. bassion

bassion

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks all for your input. Any suggestions for a beginner-on-a-budget starter amp?

9. Robotsatemygma

Robotsatemygma

Jan 17, 2010
    I was doing this for almost a year straight out of a lil Peavey Rage 158. I never turned the volume up past 2, kept the bass below noon but experimented with the mids and treble. It handled the low B pretty well at low volumes. Sounded alright but left a lot to be desired.

Long story short, if you have to do this keep your volume barely audible so you don't blow the lil speaker. It's designed for highs not lows.

10. BigEasy

BigEasy

Sep 28, 2010
    Just use your guitar amp with a pair of headphones until you get yourself a suitable bass amp.