1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using mid range with bass distortion question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacksonguy95, Jan 19, 2012.

1. jacksonguy95

jacksonguy95

Dec 9, 2009
    Hey all

i recently got a line 6 pod xt and i added some di patches onto it and so far i only found one i fell in love with, but i need to really eq it differently from my unaffacted clean tone, i found that in order to make the distortion itself actually pleasent sounding i need to scoop the mids quite a bit. in my clean tone i use the frowny face eq, except i pump some more low end into it so it looks more lop-sided i guess. i just find it annoying to have to scoop the mids to get a pleasent distorted sound and then haveing to crank the volume to be heard. does anyone else have this issue? any ways to get around this?

2. Don't use a Line 6 for distortion. I have an M5, I really don't like it's Dirt.

3. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    +1

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Agreed. Not the first choice for most dudes on here for distortion. I tend to pump midrange in every dirt pedal I have and make sure it's an option on everything I build, but that's just. Unless a pedal is made for a specific function (ie bass or treble booster), try to look for something that gets you what you want from the get-go.

5. jacksonguy95

jacksonguy95

Dec 9, 2009
    I solved my issue I found a new patch that gives a better sandsamp - like DI so I don't have to dink around with my eq now

6. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Digital distortions are the devil! :ninja:

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Get a stand-alone pedal, digital distortions really sound bad by comparison.

8. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'm convinced it's mostly (okay, at least partly) due to the lack of headroom inherent in the (somewhat cheaper) AD/DA conversion chips in pretty much every multi available at this point. Overdrives/Distortions by their very nature create spikes of harmonics that just don't seem to get handled properly by the DA conversion...

Having said that, I was pretty surprised by the Muff model on my GT-10B when I had it. I A/B'd it with my real muff pi, and honestly couldn't tell the difference with the real muff in the GT-10B's effect loop.

I'd still like to hook up real converters like a set of Lavry Blacks through a GT-OD or Line 6 to see what their modelling really sounds like. :)