using midrange in slap

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dincrest, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Okay, the common sentiment that goes around is that to get that killer slap tone, one must boost the bass and treble while cutting the mids. However, in my own experiences, I find that boosting mids adds meat and authoritativeness to my slap tone and I like that.

I do boost the bass and treble to the max on my bass preamp, but on my combo amp's 5 band parametric EQ the mid-mids and high-mids are at 3 o'clock while everything else is at 12 o'clock.

So who else likes to boost their mids in their slap tone?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I sometimes boost the mids and think it sounds cool, until I hit record and then inevitably cut them out.
  3. Yeah, I find that boosting the mids creates a good tone. After all if you think about it the good cabs now days have room for the mids. I remeber when i was first learning bass i was tought to have the mids turned down and the bass and trebble up. Now i play completely different. Sometimes if i want to create a fretless timbre on the bass i crank the mids almost full and bring the bass down. Using the mids on a higher setting can make your bass sound better. Use your ears. If you think about it, the mid is what helps create a warm and three way type sound.
  4. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I use a more middy sound, I suppose about 50% of the time I'm slapping. I'm kind of a mid freak though, and I just like it for being something different, it's not that usual scooped Joe Slapper bass tone. If it doesn't work for the song, though, of course I'll go a different route.
  5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Slap tones are a dime a dozen. Slap is a "technique", not a tone. F'r instance, Mark White from the Spin Doctors (a TB'er), has a really nice low-mid sound, not excessively bassy, but you can definitely catch the "pop" in his thumb work. It's an excellent sound IMO, it delivers the message, without getting too heavy. I have several basses that have a "midrange switch", where you can control the frequency of the mid boost-or-cut. Usually, for slap work, I set them around 250 Hz or so, and cut "just a tiny bit". Mainly it depends on what your bass will deliver, and the punch of the pickups. I've done plenty of slap with a JPJ-style sound, which has the lower mids boosted way up. It sounds good that way too. :)
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Mids aint mids. My slap setting has 250Hz cut a little but I boost 1.5K. 250Hz and 1.5K sound nothing alike, you they're both cassified as mid frequencies. It helps to be specific in this case.

The say to boost lows right? I boost 120Hz but cut 60Hz a little and cut lots of 30Hz. If I dont, my speakers move further than they should.

This is my live gig setup. Recording requires a whole different approach.

And that's just MY taste. Everyone likes it a bit different.
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I don't really mess with my eq much for slap. If I'm playing finger style on one song, slap on the next, and with a pick after that, there is no time to fiddle with eq. I generally boost mids a little though, or play close to flat eq.

What I DO have to adjust for slap is compression. I don't use compression normally but for slap, I found it helps to add a little compression to level the peaks involved. So I just roll down the threshold on my compressor for the slap stuff. Your experience may vary depending on your technique and style.