1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using more than one Bass on a Record

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by chaak, Sep 30, 2020.

1. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Hello everybody,

we are going to start soon tracking our debut album. This is a self-produced album, and the keyboards player just told us that for guitars and bass we should strictly use the same gear for all the tracks, meaning if I use my Spector active bass on a track I cannot use fender precision on another as the bass and the guitars should have the same timbre all throughout. The same goes for amps. we can use different pickups configurations or EQing.

How true is that?

JRA likes this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    It's absolute drivel.
    Go buy some rotten fish and slap some sense into him.

3. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Completely false.

We just finished recording and I used 3 basses. An active 6 string, de fretted Yamaha RBX300 with flats for 1 song and a MIM P with Chromes for 1 song.

Sure it took a little longer because we sat down and got a new tone for each bass but that's what you can do when you're self producing/home recording.

Use the tools that work for the song.

retslock, djaxup, Dr. Keebs and 14 others like this.
  4. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Music Tech magazine.
    STRONGLY DISAGREE. I totally get why a band would want a basic uniform sound throughout an album, but part of the sonic interest is in judiciously adjusting that as the songs progress. Unless you're the Ramones.

5. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    Complete rubbish.

I've used fretted and fretless on the same track, fretted for the verses and fretless for the chorus.

People shouldn't interfere with things they don't understand.:laugh:

retslock, droo46, logdrum and 14 others like this.
  6. Hummergeist

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    @RickyT is right, especially as you're self producing and have the luxury of time. You need to make everything sound as good as possible. Are the other band members (including keyboard player) really not changing anything for individual songs?

gzarruk and Diminishedfilth like this.
  7. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    It would be interesting to ask him why he believes this to be so.

djaxup, RickyT, kjp360 and 2 others like this.
  8. SaucyJackBass

SaucyJackBass Supporting Member

May 6, 2009
    I have even used multiple basses on the same song. I use a stand up bass for the intro and an Adamovic 4-string for the main part of the song.

oren, gzarruk, chaak and 3 others like this.
  9. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Tell your keyboardist that he can only use one sound for the whole album, too.

Use the sound that is best for each song. Sometimes it will be the same, other times it will be different.

Do you have a good reason for wanting to use different basses on different songs, or will you just be doing it to spite the keyboardist at this point.

10. Hummergeist

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    That's really effective on the intro!

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  11. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    come on, I'm sometimes using two different basses on one track.

and there's nothing wrong with others being: a P with flats, an ABG, an active 5-string or a hollow-body.

Chili Bo Billy and DavidEdenAria like this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

0000_1.jpg

Claymore, Helix and chaak like this.
  13. AceOfBassFace

AceOfBassFace

Jun 23, 2019
    Toronto
    It's debatable - using the same bass/tone for all the tracks might give the tracks some continuity. Using different basses would give it some variety.

Are you getting paid? If a BL or producer was paying me and wanted the same bass for everything I wouldn't argue. If it's a collaboration and you're playing for free or even contributing out of your own pocket then do what YOU want.

Thombas, djaxup, spaz21387 and 9 others like this.
  14. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Who is "producing" the album? If you have limited time/funds, then I can see wanting consistency with the sounds. If the person doing the mixing isn't sympathetic to bass guitar and willing to put in any work to get good sounds, then it might be better to just go with the flow? A lot depends on the methodology of how you are going to record. Drum/bass/rhythm tracks recorded first? I'm afraid the keyboardist wants you guys to get your parts down quickly and easily so that he can then spend hours/days/weeks/months going nuts on his keyboard parts!

I used to play with a keyboardist who took SO LONG to record his solos - he was never satisfied, couldn't see the big picture of the whole project. And he expected to be reimbursed for the studio time!

Standalone, DavidEdenAria and chaak like this.
  15. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    Total Crap!!!

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  16. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    To add to my original response, be sure to show the guy this thread.
    He might gain some clearly-badly-needed knowledge.:)

SLO Surfer and Free Rock Bass like this.
  17. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

False. No matter what bass you play, the person that’s mixing the songs will adjust accordingly to sound the way it should sound on a given song.

Anyone want to prove me wrong on this subject matter?

B-Lo likes this.
  18. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    what it means is either
    A: they are the one engineering or mixing and want to make their job easy instead of create something great.
    B: they want every song to sound the same like all other drivel that is released today.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Simple. Tell the keyboard player she/he can only use 1 patch on every track.

20. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    How much you wanna bet the keyboardist is the one mixing it?