1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using more than one effects pedal and not compromising sound!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Hi,

I've faced the stereotype before which states that if you use any more than one effects pedal you will compromise the sound quality comming out of the amp. I did a test with my amp today and pluged three pedals from the bass to the amp and it sounded exactly the same as having the bass direct.

Does anyone else use multiple pedals and have the same sound as having the bass connected directly or are my ears just not affluent enough to pick up the subtle audio polutants introduced by my pedals?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A) Try the effects forum instead.
    B) If your pedals are "true bypass" or if they were designed with really good buffer switching, there will be little-to-no perceptible degradation.

Cheap switching systems are one of the main culprits that would cause your bypassed signal to sound worse than bass direct to amp.

3. I use up to four pedals at times, and I won't say there's NO difference but I could not tell in a blind test.

Count yourself blessed. There are people who drive themselves crazy and spend lots of money trying to fix the problem you're not experiencing.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It really depends on the pedals and the bass. Some pedals interact badly with other pedals when turned off. And some guitar players are running 8 or more pedals. What might not be noticable in 3 or 4 might become noticable in 8.

With a lot of pedals you also can introduce ground loops.

But for the most part I think people psych themselves out. I know I did. I was sure that a Boss pedal was affecting the tone. But when I A/Bed it using a loooper I could not tell the difference.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    I lose some subtleties in my highs, I'm still trying to find an acceptable set up with the least amount of pedals possible.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    this does an amazing job...

[​IMG]

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's a bass. The bigger concern is punching through the mix. Tone is for geetards.

8. The problem I face is just straight level drop. Sadly, not many pedals with buffers have exactly unity gain, usually it's a little bit less. The cumulative effect can be quite dramatic, but you can usually make up for it at the preamp without too much of a problem.

The problem is largely to do with the first pedal in the chain. The quality of the buffer circuitry in that pedal is crucial, particularly for passive basses. Active basses have some immunity from the effects of external circuitry. In general, Boss pedals make great buffer/line drivers - in particular the ones like noise gates and line selectors. (Reason being that some of the modulation effects can have some leakage of LFO [and high gain pedals leak distorted signal] into the audio path causing unwanted extra noise.)

9. aren't Looopers made exactly for this?

www.loooper.com although i can't seem to get any of the pages to work at the moment

10. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    IMO there is absoluteley tone loss from using justy one effect. Of course it depends on the bass, amp, and effect. I use Eden gear with an Alembic Epic V, Fender Jazz, Kawai F2B, and each bass losses tone and signal volume going thru my effects. However I use alot of $h1T so I needed a solution, I got a loooper bypass. My loooper bypass has 3 loops, one loop has a blend pot and the other has a volume pot. I have some effects that are too wet so they go in the blend loop, others have volume loss or step up the gain stage so they go in the volume loop. The rest of the stuff is either true bypass or goes thru the effects loop with acceptable tone loss, except the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man(delay) it sux tone but I need it in the loop to work properly. It got to the point of annoyance so I swaped it with a Lexicon MPX 110.

I say if you are going to use more than one effect get it true bypassed or get a bypass box. While sometimes you may not hear the difference with an Ibanez bass thru an Ampeg amp, you will with better gear. Here is a pic of my catastrophe, it is an old pic and I don't use some of the pedals anymore, they've been replaced with better stuff. I also don't use the plywood board I have two hardcases I modified, I'll have to post it soon.

[​IMG]