Using Multiple Amps/Rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 13, 2011.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Has anyone ever used multiple ambs/cabs (via A/B switch, etc) for different tones in a live/practice situation?

The first time I heard of this was probably Tim Commerford (RATM) using a few SVT rigs set at different levels of overdrive.

My situation is that dialing in my favorite articulate metal tone (Mesa Bass 400 with a SABDDI in the FX loop... naturally a pretty direct and defined sounding head) leaves things almost too sharp on the higher ranges of the bass. It sounds killer and mixes perfectly when slapping on the B string or playing aggressively, but I often wish I could tone things down when tapping in higher octaves or get a big smooth sound (e.g. the type of tone I use in my hip hop project) without having to reconfigure everything.

Maybe I am justifying a case of GAS but am curious if anyone has ever tried this. I'd love to have something like a Streamliner or a differently set 400 for awesome tapping tone to A/B with (or Y into both for some massive sound). My only regret on my last album was that my tapping came out harsher than intended (time/budget... I would have plugged into the studio SVP- for more forgiving tones if I had unlimited time to think about that stuff).

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    I never have, but if you're not opposed to schlepping around a bunch of extra gear, I say get the Streamliner! GAS away!

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It can be done. When I'm goofing with guitar I play my fender and then one of my "dirt pedals" is a dimed valve jr., both amps mic'ed and balanced out. A, B, or Y for really cool sound. An easier, and cheaper, solution might be an eq pedal and a dirt pedal or 2 for switching sounds. The eq on the pedal may end up looking a little funky to the eye but think of it as un-doing the other sound. Some SS amps like the carvin and others have enough eq before a footswitchable graphic you can run 2 sounds without pedals, say warm fingerstyle and slap tone. I wouldn't go throwing out your amp just yet though, it's a nice one.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021