Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using multiple B100Rs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vintageampeg, Mar 1, 2005.

1. vintageampeg

vintageampeg Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2005
    So last night I was playing thru my B100R. It's just the best sounding amp - problem is, it's not loud enough for larger gigs. So I'm thinking, why not pick up another, then I effectively have 200w into a 2x15 rig. Not soo shabby at all.

Has anyone else tried this?

Curiously,
    OSF

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I had your same reasoning. Not only louder than one, but a mini-stack that looks very cool.

Well....

I played a show with another band, and for the first set I used my dual B100R rig. Sounded good, but not really much louder than a single B100R (especially if you place the B100R with its back about 6" from a wall).

For my second set, I used the previous bassist's rig (we were switching off sets). It was a Peavey Mark III and a Hartke 4X10 cab. Not normally considered a high-end rig, but it had way more balls and low end than my dual B100R rig.

I ended up going with a Thunderfunk and Ampeg 610HLF, but the moral of my rambling is that the dual B100R ain't gonna be much more than a single B100R. You could do better for the money invested.

In fact, I now use just one B100R for smaller gigs and the other just sits at home as I haven't gotten around to selling it.

Lync

3. vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    Well thanks - very valuable reply. I thought it seemed to simple to be true.

I'll stick w/ my big acoustic rig for the bigger gigs.

thanks!

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Doubling your wattage only buys you 3db more volume, you'd be better off buying yourself a 2nd cab if you need more volume. If you need a fair amount more, it's time to look into adding a power amp + new cab.

Ray

Edit: my bad, I thought you were planning to run two heads into one cab. Adding a 2nd B-100R wont buy you much more volume, but should get ya a fair amount!

5. The B100's are combos. he was talking about hooking up both of them together with a "Y" cable or some switch. but your right about hooking up two heads to a single cab. Death by Stereo

EDIT: my bad, badhabit, I didin't read your "edit" . Shame on me. :crying:

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Tis Ok, it would help if I could read at times! :p

Ray

7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    To add, I initially ran the second one out of the line out from the first-that was a hot signal though, and I had to keep the gain very low on the second one.

I then used my SABDDI as a splitter (one signal effected, the other through the bypass). This worked better, but like I said, it didn't cut it for my use.

I will say that it did look totally cool stacked up on stage.

Lync

8. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    So instead of having one of your shins all banged up from carrying the thing you can have both legs bruised up. You must have missed the Combo Amp Megathread. :eyebrow:

9. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Actually, I thought it would be such a cool setup, I actually picked up a folding hand card which I would bungy both amp to. I also have covers for both.

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    You'll laugh at me but although I have a big rig sometimes I feel like using my Peavey TKO 80 combo. I have the oportunity to buy a second one used now and I'd really like to. I love TKOs!

ANDRUCA

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    How are you planning on running them?

Bass<--Split Y Cable---B100R
    ____------------------B100R

That would do more than Bass--B100R--B100R. With the setup I suggested, you'd gain 6dB of volume (3dB for doubling speaker area, and another 3dB for doubling your wattage), which is equal to running a 400 watt amp into the single 15" cab (noticable increase in hedroom).

The difference in hedroom should be huge and you'll feel more air moving, but whether or not it will work for you is something else entirely.

12. vintageampeg

Feb 2, 2005
    Yep, I was going to but the bass into an A/B/Y Switch which would feed the bass into both amps simultaneously. You seem to suggest this would accomplish what I'm looking for, although Lync didn't get what he wanted.

Of course now after some research I'm finding I can pickup a pretty decent Ashdown 115 (or even Behringer) for very short money (less than a B100R) and just use the head from my "big rig" (acoustic 470) with it and have more volume/more headroom.

Although I love the sound of that B100R. I won't get rid of that amp - great recording amp.

The problem with what we do is that there are way too many options. :rollno: