Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using multiple combos instead of getting a head plus a cabinet...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 27, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hello, folks. I have an Idea and I need someone to point out the flaw in my plan, if there's one.

I my current "rig" is a Hartke Kickback 10. I love the tightness of the sound, but I sort of wish I had better lows. I decided that I should get some sort of Head/Cab rig, but then a question came to mind: What if I get a second combo, with a 15" speaker, and use it in conjunction with the Hartke? I'm sure an a/b box would allow me to split the signal, otherwise, I could have one made. That way, I'd have a beefier sound live and the option to take a single combo to rehearsals. Also, I'd be able to set up the combos a few feet apart from one another and at an angle, so I'd be covering a greater area, not to mention the possibility of quasi-stereo sound.

I'm sure that if this were a great Idea, it would be done all the time. That's why I'd like some opinions from people with more knowledge than myself. Any takers?

Will C.:cool:

2. If you are going to use two combos I wouldn't use a signal splitter because it might thin out your signal.
    I would make sure one of the amps has some sort of line out.
    I have run my Hartke 3500 to my Marshall B65 combo when playing outdoor shows just because I couldn't here anything on stage.
    If you are going to buy another combo I would look for something with more than just one 15.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would also be concerned that you would get some hum of some kind, due to ground looping.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Will, thats how I am running my SWR4004. I had the option of the 1x15 or the 2x10 when I bought the rig. Buying both wasn't an option. I opted for the 1x15.

I just run a line from the tuner out on the SWR to the inst. in on a PV TKO (also a 15" spkr.) I run the PV set to the mid and treble and the SWR set to carry the lower range.

The SWR with just the 1x15 just doesn't cut thru the mix. The range of tonal adjustment is far better with the PV in combo with the SWR. May not work for everyone but it works great for me. It works great at practice levels as well as gig levels.

If you decide to try it, let us know the outcome.

5. Hey, I´m already doing this in my bands practicing room.
    I've got one Warwick somewhat 220 watts 2x10 combo which is not really good sounding, and on the other hand doesn't stand my low b. So i put my Minx 110 into there, connected the line out of the warwick with the minx's input, and it works fine.
    Still the sound isn't very good at all. U see, the untightness of each doesn't erease each other. Its just tighter because of the Warwicks speakers (extremly untight) don't fly around like crazy !

Johannes

6. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I found that high-end combo's tend to be low value per $, but budget ones are quite decent (like Peavy). Watch out you don't spend more on 2 combos when you could have bought a premium (used) or good (new) "rig". Also, most combos can support an extention cab. Go test-drive a few quality cabinets and a/b with adding another combo. Lastly, my old band tried something similar with the vocal PA and spliting the signal didn't work very well (but it was with a mic), using the "pre-amp out" from combo#1 into "power amp in" on combo#2 worked the best. Good-luck!
    RGDS

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Well I think there are some pros and cons regarding verstility, portability, watt per dollar and so on wich you finally have to decide for yourself.
    But I would definitly use a line out instead of signal splitting!

BTW: I personally would prefer an amp head with two different cabs (1x15 and 2x10), second choice: 2x10 combo with 1x15 extension cab.

Matthias