Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using My Computer CD Burner With Portable Digital Recording Studio?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Jan 31, 2003.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i was wondering, if i had portable digital recording studio could i hook it up to my computers cd burner? my cd burner is external from the computer and it's called a iomega zip cd 650.

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Were you thinking of any portable digital recorder in particular? Many of those digital audio workstations come with CD burners. The Yamaha AW range do, as do the Roland VS range - and I'm sure there are others that do too.

3. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    yeah like the boss br-1180 i really like but it's about $1000. adding on a built in cd burner when you buy it is about $400. so i just wanted to buy the studio and then possibly use my own burner with it.
    and these were the studios i was thinking of:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ec/s=recorders/search/detail/base_pid/240239/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ec/s=recorders/search/detail/base_pid/241056/

so could those possibly work with my burner?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok I've just had a look at those two you posted.

The Fostex MR-8 should definitely be able to do this. It says in the spec on MF, that it has a USB port for uploading WAVs to PC. If you can upload your recorded songs as WAV files to a PC - you can then burn them onto CD. That is, provided you have a free USB port on your PC.

The Boss BR-532 can do this too, by the look of it. On the Roland site it says it has a digital output for mastering to computer or stand-alone CD burner. So you could probably hook your CD burner (as it's an external one) directly up to the BR-532 and burn your songs straight onto CD. Failing that, you can send it to your computer, and burn it to a CD.

So, it looks like both those options will work with a CD burner.

Looking at the specs - the Fostex MR-8 looks like a very good option. You've got 8 tracks (the BR-532 only has 4, though it does have virtual tracks) - and it comes with 128MB of storage (the BR-532 comes with just 32MB, expandable to 128MB). You'll use up 32MB pretty quickly I reckon. And, the MR-8 is cheaper.

5. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    yes i would have a free usb port but i have a macintosh so wonder if that would present a problem..... anyways i would definately prefer the option of using my burner by itself just with the studio and not use my computer.so if i found out that it will work i'm definately going to do that.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh, it's a Mac. That might be a problem, I don't know.

Ok, well it in that case the Boss BR-532 looks like a good option. It only has 4 tracks - but if that's ok with you, then I guess it's the one to go for. It has virtual tracks (a useful feature) - and should have some good effects. I've got a Roland VS digital audio workstation, and the effects are very good (Boss is part of Roland - so I would imagine the Boss digital multitracks would use the same technology as the VS series). The BR-532 has 24-bit A to D converters, and 32-bit internal processing - which means it should be pretty good quality (though, for that price, I don't know how good the A to D converters are, but they are 24-bit, which is good).

I'd suggest you go to www.roland.com and go to the products section and look up the specs, and read what it says about the BR-532. Make sure that you can use your CD burner with it - you could email them with the specific model of your burner, to make sure.