1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using my heads return out V.S. standard input

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbully43, Dec 29, 2006.

1. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    Im am not much on all this but i am learning ... here it goes. I
    use i guess outboard preamps both a behringers one the sansamp knock off BD121 i think the other the new pod v-amp. i like them both and the sansamp pedal has held up well giging and all i got great old school warmth when in my classic rock band with it...i use stricly passive Fender jazzes.

Question: I used to run thru the standard passive input in both my Eden and GK rigs but lately i get a lot more ground hum this way but its not the pedals. I started going thru the amps return out by passing the pre-amp and all is quiet....what gives? Some say i have a bad ground wire in the pre but in two diffrent amp in two diffrent locations...i do suspect the wiring in both homes i play in. I bought a Morley HumX and it helped but returned it when i thought i fixed the problem...guess i need to go get it again.

What harm could i do to my head by by passing the preamp thus losing the clipping feature. This scares me some but i know when i pushing an amp from the sound alone..i hope. I also hate losing the tuning mute button on my GK. I talked to a guy who is a pretty well known bass player in the area who said he has seen it done both ways and doesn't know of any harm using a return would cause thats what preamp outboards are for?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    using the effects return is fine. in the case of eden the effects return still sends you thru the eq and enough gain to bring it up to line level. not sure about the gk. it is odd that you would experience hum with both amps but not thru the eq return. at first glance i would say that the effects or a bad ground in your bass or cord is being amplified by the preamps in the heads. the only thing giving me pause is that the eden effects return still has a lot of gain on it which should amplify the hum.

3. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    I use moster cables and shielded both basses. Since the Eden you say still uses the EQ thru the return this explains why i had trouble last nite at practice. I was having feedback and clipping problems with the setting in the V-amp i was using in the GK. The GK truly bi-passes the pre-amp no doubt about it...it becomes a power amp all the preamp features do nothing and i control everything (EQ) thru the boxes. Thanks for helping with the Eden i was stumped to why i had so many problem last night now i know..its a 410 200watt nemisis combo.