using my instrument cable as a speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mastadulog, Feb 15, 2003.

1. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    i'm kinda strapped for money that i cant even afford to get a cable right now. i have a bass, head, and a cab comin in this week. so i was wondering if i could use my instrument cable as a speaker cable. my friends say they're all the same ****, but maybe the wiring might be different inside. is it safe?
  2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Absolutely not, do not use an instrument cable to connect a speaker to an amp!

If you can't afford a $10 cable, how will pay to have your amp fixed when you blow it?....because that's what can happen.
  3. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    They may look the same from outside, but they are very different cables. You could use your instrument cable in a pintch...for a short time and with low volumes, but I really wouldn't recommend it.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Everybody says not to do it. Nobody ever says why.

The PA system that I played through for more than six years used instrument cables for speaker cables and never gave the first problem.

My rig is only a couple hundred watts into 8 ohms. I use an instrument cable from head to cab and it seems to work just fine. So far, anyway! :)

I would be curious if anyone ever really had a problem that damaged anything that was caused by using inst cables for speaker cables.

Bottom line: The safe way is to use the right cable for the right application. However.......... :)

5. Instrument Cable - Instrument cable is shielded which means that it has a inner wire that is completely surrounded by another wire. The outside wire is referred to as the shield. The shield serves the purpose of directing airborne interference, like radio waves or fluorescent light noise, away from the cable. The shield protects the inner wire from these waves. Use this cable in low level applications to connect between components such as guitar to amp, effects to amp, or any areas where "power" is not involved. Do not use Instrument cable for speakers, as amplifier damage or poor performance can occur.

Speaker Cable - Speaker cable has two parallel multi-strand conductors. It is designed to carry large amounts of energy. It should be used between the power section of your equipment and the speakers only. The size or gauge of the wire also has an effect on the performance of your equipment. The amount of power used and the length of the cable determines the gauge of wire that you need. Generally speaking the larger the wire the better. Note: Smaller awg number = larger wire diameter.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Although POKEHER has been lucky, do not do it. Save your money and buy the right cable.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. This is extremely poor advice. Don't even DREAM about doing it.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK. One of these is a speaker cable, and the other is an instrument cable. See any difference?