Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using My Trace Elliot Commando 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzBassvb, Oct 8, 2004.

1. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Hi all,

I recently replaced my blown 15" speaker in this combo with an Eminence Delta 15" and it sounds great!

Of course, it's been several years since I've used my combo with anyone and it just may be my memory, but I thought I never had to turn it up as much as I do now.

For example, I got together with a drummer friend and jammed a bit in the music room in the basement of his home.

The room is small with about a 7' ceiling if I remember right, and the drums take about a good 1/3 of space.

So I set up opposite of his drums and I had to crank the gain almost all the way up and the volume almost all the way up to hear myself decently. My bass volume was almost all the way up to, but had it backed off just a bit. I've played with a drummer, another bassist and 2 guitarists before and I don't remember having to crank it up as much.

Have noticed that when I move or even touch my volume knob, it makes a static noise, but there is really no change in sound level at that point. It still goes up when you turn it up, but it has that added sound to it. So I don't know if there is something up with it or not.

The combo is rated at 100w RMS and peak 200w RMS if you turn everything up all the way (if I remember right.) The speaker is rated at 300w RMS (I believe) and 101db sensitivity.

I guess what I'm asking for is any suggestions, advice on how to work my combo so that I get the most sound, without burning and busting anything up. Including if I should max out my bass and adjust the combo as needed.

I'm very happy with the Delta speaker. I had it up pretty loud and had the bass up a little and I was relieved that it was not blown when I played it at home the next day. Very cool.

Sorry for the long post. I hope the extra info will help.

Thanks from a newbie.
    JB

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Odds are that the difference in perceived volume is because of the Delta 15. Its probable that your combo isn't tuned for that speaker's parameters and therefore isn't performing optimally. Is that combo ported? If so, you might want to retune the port to match the Delta 15.

3. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Eric,

Thanks. I had thought about that.

No, it's not ported.

Even then, I thought I left it at the same settings as when the old speaker was in there and there wasn't a difference. I think I have the old speaker still, so I'll put it back in and see if there is a difference.

I appreciate it.
    JB