Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using oak in a bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 11, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Come on guys I have so much of this from the hurricane. Isn't there anything I can do with it?...............t

2. build a coffee table? :D

i'm not sure how oak would sound, but it would make for 1 heavy bass

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hey, good thinking! I always say, if there a disaster, make use of it (happens to me all the time)

Anyway, oak has a great renommé arond here as neck and fingerboard material. Some kind of mixture between mahogany and wenge, perhaps :eyebrow:
    As body wood, it's sayd to be slightly "clanky", or "tinny". I never come across an oak bodied instrument, myself, so I can't add anything more.

But, for neck use, it's great.

4. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
    My favorite neck wood!
    It’s hard to dry but I hope you get nice blanks from it.
    It have a great sustain too!

/EA

Edin Electric Bass Guitars

5. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    Now that is a very interesting point.
    I've always disliked oak for bass bodies, and I was convinced it would bring stability issues for necks. Do you have sound samples of your basses - the Lightwave ones in particular?

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Swedish oak? I wonder how that differs for the type we have in Florida? ....Nice looking basses by the way.......t

7. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
    Me too :)
    Oak is wery stabile once when it is dry.
    Thank you for the compliments!
    I have no sounclips of my basses but I have some recordings if it’s of any interest. I know that one of my customers had one clip of his LightWave on his web site: http://4bass.moonfruit.com
    I’ll try to make some soundclips soon.

/EA

8. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    Well, this is not his bass on the audio clip. This is a clip from the Langcaster Lightwave bass you can listen to on the Langcaster site.

9. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
    Ouch!
    I have actually never asked him about that. I just presumed that’s him playing because clip is there…but it’s surely a lightwave :)
    I’ll try to record something this weekend so you can compare

/EA

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yeah, that's an interesting question!
    The swedish grown Quercus Robur is very stable. I guess the Florida oak(s?) would be faster grown and thus a bit softer, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Perhaps you can find something at http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/ - a rather comprehensive resource.
    Otherwise, PM Pilotjones - he'll know where to find data.

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks but I decided that I don't want to go through the trouble of drying it. It has been a big bonfire........t

12. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
  13. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    Very clear and tight sound. Just as I expected.
    The more samples I listen to, the more I think the Lightwave thingy is best applied to fretlesses instruments.
    Just a personnal thought.