1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

using oak in a bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Sep 11, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Come on guys I have so much of this from the hurricane. Isn't there anything I can do with it?...............t

2. build a coffee table? :D

i'm not sure how oak would sound, but it would make for 1 heavy bass

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hey, good thinking! I always say, if there a disaster, make use of it (happens to me all the time)

Anyway, oak has a great renommé arond here as neck and fingerboard material. Some kind of mixture between mahogany and wenge, perhaps :eyebrow:
    As body wood, it's sayd to be slightly "clanky", or "tinny". I never come across an oak bodied instrument, myself, so I can't add anything more.

But, for neck use, it's great.

4. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
    My favorite neck wood!
    It’s hard to dry but I hope you get nice blanks from it.
    It have a great sustain too!

/EA

Edin Electric Bass Guitars

5. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    Now that is a very interesting point.
    I've always disliked oak for bass bodies, and I was convinced it would bring stability issues for necks. Do you have sound samples of your basses - the Lightwave ones in particular?

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Swedish oak? I wonder how that differs for the type we have in Florida? ....Nice looking basses by the way.......t

7. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
    Me too :)
    Oak is wery stabile once when it is dry.
    Thank you for the compliments!
    I have no sounclips of my basses but I have some recordings if it’s of any interest. I know that one of my customers had one clip of his LightWave on his web site: http://4bass.moonfruit.com
    I’ll try to make some soundclips soon.

/EA

8. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    Well, this is not his bass on the audio clip. This is a clip from the Langcaster Lightwave bass you can listen to on the Langcaster site.

9. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
    Ouch!
    I have actually never asked him about that. I just presumed that’s him playing because clip is there…but it’s surely a lightwave :)
    I’ll try to record something this weekend so you can compare

/EA

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Yeah, that's an interesting question!
    The swedish grown Quercus Robur is very stable. I guess the Florida oak(s?) would be faster grown and thus a bit softer, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Perhaps you can find something at http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/ - a rather comprehensive resource.
    Otherwise, PM Pilotjones - he'll know where to find data.

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks but I decided that I don't want to go through the trouble of drying it. It has been a big bonfire........t

12. Edin

Edin

Apr 24, 2003
  13. 5thString

5thString

May 5, 2004
    Very clear and tight sound. Just as I expected.
    The more samples I listen to, the more I think the Lightwave thingy is best applied to fretlesses instruments.
    Just a personnal thought.