1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

using old gasoline (not stabilized)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by richnota, Sep 13, 2008.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I realized i had two 5 gallon cans of gasoline in my utility shed. The gas is probably a year and half to two years old. Is there a way it can be used?

If it cant be used in a motor, how do I get rid of it? (aside from making a whole bunch of Molotov cocktails)

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    You could always drink it. :)

Didn't you see Battlefield earth? Fuel is good for hundreds of years!

3. I'd try mixing it with some new gas in a, like, 5:1 ratio, and see what happens.

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    You can use it in a 2 stroke engine.

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Modern gas doesn't go stale very quickly. I wouldn't put it in a Ferrari, but you could always mix it with some fresh gas and stabilizer/SeaFoam and use it for your lawnmower/snowblower/whatever.

6. I have drunk things that old gasoline tasted better than.

7. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Awkward.

8. You've never had "buy two, get one free" vodka, have you? :atoz:

9. Sure, just use it in your mower or other small engine. If you're really worried about it, just mix some fresh gas in with it.

10. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Stabil.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Pour it into your car's gas tank. As long as you've got plenty of gas in the thank it will be fine.

bc

12. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
  13. Put about 1/4 bottle of Lucas gas treatment in it. It will be fine :) I run my monster 4 stroke chainsaw on 5 year old gas :) I think it actually runs better due to the water retarding the ignition :D

14. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I've used year old gas in my lawnmower without any problems.

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Homeless Pete's Blanket In A Bottle?? Tastes like crap, but gets the job done.

16. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Any brand of auto store octane booster and a bottle of Stabil. Cut it at least 3:1 with fresh gas for little back yard mowers etc. Their small spark and combustion chambers can't overcome the higher ignition point of bad gas vapor. You'll just end up flooding it with UN-flammable fuel. Unless you want a complete mess of draining fuel lines and swapping/cleaning spark plugs MAKE SURE you have enough good gas in there. Better to use it a little at a time than cost yourself a looooong Saturday of gasoline stink and barked knuckles.

17. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Holy crap! They make a four stroke chainsaw? :eek:

18. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    As long as it's been stored in the proper containers, gasoline is good for at least a couple of years. Just use it and don't worry about it.

19. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    i've heard it actually goes bad rather quickly. I figure some octane boost and add a bit at a time to the wrangler's gas tank--my hunch is that old straight six would run fine on coal oil.

20. lexxmexx

lexxmexx

Apr 7, 2008
    I don't see why you can't use that so-called "expired" gas for your car. Don't think it will degrade, it will just evaporate off if the container was't properly sealed.