1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using only a single cab, same brand 3-10 vs 2-12???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevinlane, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    Has anyone switched from a 3-10 to a 2-12 or viceversa of the same brand , and why?

Hopefully, in a rig just using the one cabinet.
    I'm most interested in Epifani obsevations, but opinions of all brands would be useful.

2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I just purchased a Bergantino 2-12. I was amazed when I heard the bergs, IMO they are the most pefect sounding cabs I have ever heard and I dont say that lightly. Im not one who thinks "if it costs alot it has to be good" but in this case its true. The first time I heard them (a while back) I thought they sounded great but I didnt think the price was worth it. Last weekend I went and gave them (3-10 and 2-12) a true audition (about 3-4 hours) and the longer I played the more I really fell in love with these cabs and it became clear that this was the first time in a long time that I just wanted to sit and play and love what I was hearing. I will give a short review of both.

3-10 : First this is the single best cab I have ever heard. Strong in all phases , bottom was tight and focused and strong, mids where very "natural" sounding as where the highs. I have never liked tweeters and horns, I have actually cut the wires in new cabs before because I hate them that much. I had previously read a few posts where a few guys where praising the berg horn and I thought it was a bunch of crap and it makes no difference. Well I was wrong , I can honestly say this is the first one I have ever liked. The tone was very warm and nice. The most aticulate cab I have ever heard period.

2-12: Sounds very much like the 3-10 at first but a slightly "browner" tone and not as focused in the mid area but still focused. Lows and low-mid very nice sounding but there is more of that "chest hit" in the lows and not as tight as 3-10 and thats what I liked more about the 2-12, it just seemed to have more resonating lows and slightly warmer where the 3-10 had what seemed to be just as much lows but it was "quicker" and more focused.

I chose the 2-12 because it was more my sound, not better just different,but I think the average guy would like the 3-10 better. Sorry for the article but I hope it helps. Have yet to play live with it but i think in most settings it would hold its own and it will shake the hell out of a house.:cool:

3. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Haven't heard either of the Bergantinos, but there are a lot of good things being said about 'em. I have an Epifani 212, and I think it sounds great. Initially went with the 212 because I wanted plenty of "throw" past the front of the stage, which I think 10's generally lack. Since I've used it I've also noticed some of the other likeable attributes ThunderStik mentioned: Old school sound, warmth and "Chest Hit" factor. Oh yeah, I use this cabinet alone with a relatively loud Blues Rock band, and I haven't come close to pushing it hard yet.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Great review, ThunderStik. I agree with your findings as that's what I found when I gave them a go at BassNW. I just don't think that they should be so expensive.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I can't wait for some of the Berg 2x12 to start showing up on the used market. ;)

kevenlane, I've got a Bag End 2x10 and had the Bag End 2x12 cab for awhile. I've put them side-by-side with one cab for each channel of my WT-800. Understandibly,the 2x12 just had that much more than the 2 10's. A bit lower even thought Bag rates the cab at 50Hz. Man, but that D12-D sure seemed to cut through the mix rather nicely.

I'm going to get another 2x12 when my other 4x10 sells.