1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using Orange guitar amp for home - worth me getting dedicated bass head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danhorse, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Danhorse

Danhorse

Jan 30, 2012
    Hi guys,

So Im just a home player, mainly guitar recent years, but reignited my love for bass again so... I only play at home, don't need lots of power of low end thump, just nice warm tones. At present I am plugged into my all tube Orange TT, and while its nice and warm (I am definitely a vintage old school tone lover), I am aware that the EQ is all wrong for bass and maybe i am missing out? My musical tastes lean toward John taylor, Mick Karn, and nice warm fretless tones.

I do not have a lot of money or space, so would probably be limited to a sub £300 head to plug into the TT cab, solid state i guess - which i suspect may leave me cold - more sterile etc?

Is it really worth me getting a dedicated head to plug into the Orange cab? Would it really benefit me - or, should i get an outboard bass preamp for the TT when i play bass, for EQ etc?

Any thoughts welcome.. :)

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Do you like the way it sounds? If so then don't change anything

lomo, atrapp and Danhorse like this.
  3. Danhorse

Danhorse

Jan 30, 2012
    Dave, well, i like the tube sound, but the EQ for bass is all out, so thinking about some kind of preamp to get things right. I guess its a naive kind of question, just wondering if the general consensus is 'no use a bass amp!' lol.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Welp, basically the consensus is just that. If you like it, cool!
    For low volume home playing you really don't need all that much.

Any music ships in the area that you can check out to see what you're missing?

5. Danhorse

Danhorse

Jan 30, 2012
    Haha! cool. I yeah there are a couple in the next towns - they have a Fender Rumble 200 and TC electronic in my price range I could go try out. Starting to lean toward a decent preamp EQ now ;)

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    As long as you don't tear up the speaker and like the sound, yeah, no need to change.

7. jonreedsoula1

jonreedsoula1

Mar 29, 2015
    I use an orange ad30r at home for bass and love the tone. Fair enough i have tohave the bass on full and treble on 0. There isnt a big bottom end but i consider that a good thing as i live in a block of flats.
    I have an AD200 at the studio which satisfies my need for a massive bass when i reherse with the band. I find the orange guitar amp perfect for home bass use.

8. ronlitz

ronlitz

Apr 20, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I think the tuning of the cabinet is going to be as much - if not more - of a problem than the EQ capabilities of the head. Getting a bass preamp and boosting 80Hz isn't going to have much of an effect through a guitar cab that is not designed to reproduce the low freqs. A small bass combo amp would get you a better bass tone.

lomo and Bassmec like this.
  9. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    What makes a lowish power tube bass rig, is hopefully a little more weight in the output transformer than usual but mostly in the cabbage.
    Remember that old Yamaha Ne1 one band semi parametric Nathan East signature pedal thingy!?.
    That addition alone would provide all the smilie face scoops of midrange pre amp tones a bass player would require.;-)
    Or you could have one of those flashy Nordstrand pre amps in your bass that has an Ampeg like 5 way switched frequency parametric control.:)XX
    Jeez how much EQ do we all need these days?.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use an orange micro terror for home practice.

11. stajki

stajki

Mar 26, 2012
    what do you think about getting only a bass cabinet?

mbelue and Jeff Scott like this.
  12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    This.

The real problem is the speaker cabinet, not the amp.

mbelue and TMARK like this.
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    For home practice I'd just get a small 112 bass combo if you're tight. If there's a chance you'll ever play bass with a drummer, then I'd choose one that takes an extension cabinet......Fender, GK, Hartke, it's all good.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Indeed. I should add that I play my micro terror through an Ampeg 210AV.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I once tried out the (then new) Vox Night train head through an Ampeg 410HE and it sounded great. When I had my early '70s Princeton reverb amp I ran that through any number of bass cabinets I had and it sounded glorious. Same with my old Mesa DC-2 that I put in a head case.

Mesa-Sunn Amp A .
    Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2007 All rights reserved

16. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    I blew the speaker in my Blues Jr. sounded great until the speaker creased and died.