Using other effects instead of chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jan 5, 2006.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm wondering which of you regularly choose different modulation effects over chorus when adding a little flavour to your bass lines. I've been using flange recently and while its great I can't run much gain with it without getting those swooshy jet plane noises, it also has that metallic hint to the tone.

I'm leaning to getting a chorus something like the Analogman Mini Chorus but in that price range there are so many decent effects I really want to look around first.

So which of you have substituted chorus for something else, I was kinda thinking phase or maybe a slow subtle filter you know something with out alot of spikes and jumps but I'm not sure. All I know is I'm going for that little added extra with my sound in a adding to an acoustic guitar power ballad type setting.

Does that make sense?

Anyway opinions people
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I use a low speed vibrato on most of my solos.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you can also use chorus in different ways. For trip hop stuff, I quite often bump up the rate to near full and back off the depth for a tremelo type effect.
  4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I use a very slow and very shallow phase with no regen. It just gives a hint of shimmer. Very shallow vibrato or trem is good too.
  5. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I like phaser. I use it on "Cameleon" and it's pretty cool - funky but without the usual "filter" effect. Actually, it was a preset on a PodXT that used phaser and some plate delay.
  6. I'm pretty partial to my Moon Phaser by Red Witch as a nice growly alternative to chorus. The Moon Phaser also introduces a tremelo with the phaser on a couple of the presets. Great sound with a Rickenbacker.
  7. detune or pitch mod (Boss harmonist or EBS Unichorus respectively) are good, subtle alternatives. Samples on EBS site.
  8. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I use an Electro-Harmonix Small Stone. Sounds great, especially on chords.

9. +1

The TC SCF (Chorus pedal) can be switched between Chorus,
    Flanger and Vibrato. The vibrato is really sweet and subtle.