Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using PA Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Sep 11, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    im a little short of money at the moment anddont want to go all out on arig so would it be ok to use PA cabs as a speaker for a bass amp? i was on www.thomann.de and they have a 15" PA cab for €95 and is rated at 300w at 8ohms which is perfect but will i encounter any problems except for the uncontrollable laughs i would be met with by other bassists. im goin to get the Behringer BX3000T aswell. then ill keep the behringer head as a backup and the speaker will save my band money in the long run. so would it work, i dont care if it looks ****, it will do until next year when i plan on going to work in the states and buy a GK 1001RB-II and 2 GK Neo 15s. dont kno how ill get them back to ireland though :confused:, anyway one problem at a time, will a pa cab work as a speaker?

2. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    I've used one of my 15" Community PA speakers several times as a bass speaker. It works fine, but you can't turn down the horn like most bass cabinets. But then, my amp has a treble control...

3. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    excellent, thanks for the help

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    PA cabs are more designed for the entire sonic spectrum, so probably you wont get all that much bass out of it, it is likely that it will cut out at under 45-50 Hz

BTW which one is it, I couldnt find it

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Since it gives no specs for the -3dB or -10dB points, I cant give you any closer answer. Its cheap, but may not work for the low frequencies.
    And also, its only 150Ws. The 300Ws is the highest load it can bear for a short time before it gives in

6. I've played through some Yamaha PA speakers that sounded like crap... I've also played through Peaveys that sounded great.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you should try before you buy, if you can.