Using PA power amps with a bass Pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I'm looking to start building up my new bass rig. I was thinking about buying a basic pre amp (any suggestions) and using a PA power amp (possibly adding another in the future as i add more cabs). Are there any problems with this idea.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

This is done all the time.

Check out Crown, Crest, QSC, Stewart. I am sure others will have more suggestions.
  3. wiermabj

wiermabj President and founding member - Bass Newb Club

Jun 4, 2002
    Westminster, MD
    As a newbie here, it was suggested to me to use my exisiting Mackie 1400 amp I used for my bands PA and throw a preamp on top of that. It gives me plenty of options and power but as a hobbyist, it may be overkill for my needs. I was thinking of going with a Mesa Walkabout and a 2X10 for starters. If your interested, I might let my Mackie 1400 go. You can PM or email me.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hi, I run my preamp into a Mackie 1400i. It probably is too much power for a hobbyist, but headroom is always cool. You could run only one side (stereo mode, not bridged) and do just fine. How many watts is your cab? One side into 8 ohms is only 250 watts, or 425 into 4 ohms.

I think the 1400i is a very good amp. It's got a lot of protection circuits (4 I think!) to keep me from frying it, 1400 watts into 4 ohms bridged :D , and a thru XLR out to run DI to the board.

5. wiermabj

Jun 4, 2002
    Westminster, MD
    I'm still trying to sell my guitar gear so the only thing I have that'll be used for the bass rig is my Shure Wireless system, Furman SPL-8, and the Mackie. Any idea on a moderately priced preamp for rock, classic rock but is flexible enough to do a little of everything? What about the Eden 100 Navigator? I've seen them used for about $500.

6. mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    wiermabj -
    I picked up a used Sansamp PSA-1 off ebay for around 300. It goes for 600 new. It has midi channels so you can create different sounds, save them and call them up when needed. (rock, reggie/dub, distorted). It has a load of presets too.
    I'm running that into a QSC PLX.
  7. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    at the moment all i have is a Peavey TNT combo, but my band is starting to play larger gigs (and i have to compete with two guitarists with mesa dual recs) and i need a better rig, so i'm starting from scratch

any suggestions on what pre, power amp and cabs would be great. I was thinking or either a 4x10 or 2x10 with a 1x15

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Carvin gives the most power per dollar. I've heard about problems with service that I can't substantiate.

I have an Ampeg SVP-Pro pre amp. Good pice ($450 US) and does everything you could ask from a pre.

I use a QSC-RMX2450 amp.
    Stereo, per channel:
    Bridged Mono:

These go for about $650ish.

I Use BagEnd cabs.
    S15B-D, 8ohm,200-400watt 115
    D10B-D, 4ohm,400-800watt 210

These were $500 & $600.

I hope that helps.
  9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The PSA-1 has 10 bass presets and the rest are dedicated to guitar. I think that it has about 40+ user presets that you save your on settings in.
  10. wiermabj

Jun 4, 2002
    Westminster, MD
    Hmm, all the reviews I've read thusfar describe the tone I like..the "Moving Pictures" tone. I think I'll look into that.

11. chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I have a QSC RMX 1850HD in my rig. Great sound, plenty of power, 2 ohm stable, and CHEAP! If only it were lighter and the fan a little quieter, it would be perfect.

Lord Valve sells the QSC RMX amps cheaper than the equivalent Carvin DCMs, but you have to call or email him for the price.
  12. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    A poweramp is a poweramp, unless it's a guitar poweramp in which case it is crap. :D