Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using PA speakers as my Bass Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LuisSavesTheDay, Dec 17, 2004.

1. LuisSavesTheDay

LuisSavesTheDay

Dec 17, 2004
    Hey guys, ive been wanting to know if i could use two PA 2x15 speakers as my bass cabs. PA speakers get much louder from what i heard, and keep the low end too. Theyre also cheaper... What do yal think?

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There is a member that uses two Behringer powered cabinets as his bass rig.

3. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    i know a guy who uses a PA speaker as a bass cab (1x15 + tweeter)... doesn't sound half bad.

4. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Stefan Lessard from DMB used to used Meyer powered PA cabs for his rig.

The only thing I can think of is how far away you'll be from the speakers. I say this because PA speakers are designed to sound better the further away you are from them. If you're going to be standing right in front of them, they may not sound as good as they will from a couple of feet away. Now keep in mind that's a very minor nit pick, but it's worth considering.

5. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I use Meyer PA cabs and couldn't be happier! Best gear I have ever played through period!

6. WayneP

WayneP

Oct 11, 2004
    Katy, Texas

There are certainly benefits to using a PA cabinet. For instance, the horns are much higher quality than the cheap piezos typically found in bass cabinets. For another, if you’re patched into the house system, you’ll have a better assurance that your sound from the stage is a closer match to what’s coming out of the PA.

The downside is what modflea mentioned, that PA cabinets are designed to sound best some distance away, so what you hear on stage may not sound so good to you. However, you could compensate for that by getting a floor monitor that matches your main cabinet and throw it down in front of you (often manufactures have both house and monitor speakers in a model line). That way you could get the best of both worlds.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. LuisSavesTheDay

LuisSavesTheDay

Dec 17, 2004
    Well actually, i was plannin on just usin the input from my head rahter then micing it. Im not lookin for anything to fansy either. I just wanna have a nice 2x15 cab PA style. This is the first time ive conidered a PA, it just slapped me in the face over night that maybe i should try one. Also, whats so bad about piezos?

8. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    It a greta idea, if fact it is such a great idea that I have been using nothing but professional PA cabs for ten years.

9. LuisSavesTheDay

LuisSavesTheDay

Dec 17, 2004
    lol. Cool. Which models do yal use? I was lookin at some on ebay, but they were like 2500$, and i dont have that kind of money.

10. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I use a Meyer Sound UPA-1P powered 1x12 w/horn,USW-1P powered 2x15 sub,and a USM-1P powered 1x15 w/horn wedge monitor.

11. I like the yorkville pa cabs. i have the 12's unpowered. thye are medium throw but work well as floor monitors too. inexpenisve. lightweight material. not a plastic, but a hi-tech hardened foam or something.

12. LuisSavesTheDay

LuisSavesTheDay

Dec 17, 2004
    Yal just plug thesepuppies into your head/rack and jam? On the back of my head all i have is the 1/4 inputs, i dont have the PA input.

13. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Here's a twist. I couple of months ago I ran into a gig problem and wound up using my Euphonic CXL112 cabs for the PA (vocals and all). Go figure.

14. wneff

wneff Supporting Member

May 27, 2003
    Woburn, MA
    To use a top notch PA cabinet for bass is possible and it sounds really good. I would question if it is cheaper.

Most moderately priced PA cabinets are not built to but out a huge amount of bass. For example, the Yamaha Club series S112 speaker has a frequency response of 60 Hz - 16 kHz (-10 dB). For all intents and purposes there is no low E coming out of this cabinet. It still sounds halfway decent because they make a hump in the low mid range so the cabinet sounds round and full. This is O.K. as long as you have good room acoustics. If your room resonance happens to coincide with that hump you'll have all kinds of trouble.

By comparison, the -10 dB point of the Euphonic Audio CXL112 is at 27 Hz!!!!!!, the -3 dB is at 45 Hz, the -6 dB at 38 Hz.

A higher quality speaker like the Turbosound TDX 112 is specified with 60Hz - 20 kHz +/- 4 dB.
    The TDX115 is 45 dB at -4 dB, so that speaker is almost there.

The TDX 115 is about $600, not much cheaper than the EA (as cheap as $630), and the EA is lighter and easier to transport.

I draw the conclusion for myself that yes, PA cabs work, and they sound much better than many cabs specifically made for bass. However, you need really good ones to get the bass performance needed.

The EA CXL112 sounds like a PA box, too, but its output is optimized for what bass players need, so I went with the EA.

Wolfram

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Haven't messed with speakers in a while. I've always heard bass and PA speakers were made differently but couldn't remember what it was if I ever knew. I thought reading this thread might refresh my memory.

I've got a pair of L'acoustic speakers that I know are PA and have run bass through them and they sound fine - even up close. When I used to read through JBL and Altec applications for speakers I don't recall any of them stating use for PA and musical instrument, although they would specifiy Bass, keyboard, and steel. Regardless, I've never heard of any damage that would result in doing so.

Bottom line I guess is if it works and you like them.

16. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm, what about the other way around? Could a 1x15 maybe be used for other applications like keyboard or voice (with horn preferred, of course) or even something like a kick drum amplifying PA speaker?

-T

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Yes, I know a drummer who occasionally uses a Behringer keyboard amp/pa combo for either electric drums, or to get his kick and snare louder. I think its something like a bx1200.

18. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Pretty common for Keyboards to run through bass rigs in general, not just 15's. It's my understanding the reason 5 string basses even came about was becuase, once keyboards became standard, an overlap in lower frequencies was causing a problems. I used to run a strat through an old Fender Bassman practice amp for that matter.