1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

using PA speakers for bass JBL MR838 to be specific, is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Trod, Mar 21, 2006.

1. hi I was wondering if anyone uses PA speakers for their bass amplification. I found a JBL MR838 which does 38hz-20 khz, it has an 18" low frequency transducer , a 10" cone midrange and a titanium compression driver on a a flat biradial horn. It can handle 250 watts of power at 100db sensitivty .
    Can this just be hooked up to any bass amp and played ? Will it sound good? Do you think it will have sufficent volume and punch for bar gigs?

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yes - it'll work great.
    Keep in mind that pro-sound cabinets are designed to be flat, where bass cabinet's usually aren't.
    When you first plug in your amp, just keep in mind that you can use your tone controls to adjust the sound.

3. I have to start by saying that I have no direct experience of the cab you have referred to, but in general, PA cabs have good mid bass, middle and top, but often need a sub to give the bottom. Do JBL say that it will handle 38 Hz, or that it is 'flat' to 38 Hz?

I have played through a Yamaha 15 + horn cab for post mounting, and for solo bass, it sounded fine. But, play a CD through it at those tone settings, and you find out how little bass it actually has, compared with the other frequencies that it reproduces.

My advice would be to try before you buy.

4. Oh, you're right, I double checked the frequency response and it is -10db

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Yes - for sure - try before you buy.

I'd be surprised if you found specs on a bass cabinet that said -10db at 38hz.

It's heavy and an odd shape/size so think about convenience also.

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I'd be amazed, as bass cab manufacturers tend to not quote -10dB frequencies. If they did, though, the average figure would be around 50 Hz.