Using PA speakers for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickelBridge, Apr 25, 2002.

1. I have a peavey firebass running through a single 4X10 cab, 8 ohm cab. I would like to try running the amp at 4 ohms to try and get more power/volume. I have a 8 ohm PA speaker and was wondering if that is safe? Is there something that makes a cab for bass use only?
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    (1) Yes, provided that the power rating of the PA speaker is within range of the amp's power rating.

(2) Not really, though a lot of full-range PA cabs have crossovers and higher-range speakers that don't do much for bass.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Many smaller PA cabinets don't go as low as bass cabinets, even many with 15" drivers. You could damage the woofers by playng bass through them.
  4. Thanks for the quick replies. The firebass says it puts out 475 Watts RMS into 4 ohms. My 4X10 has a power handling of 300 Watts. What should the rating be on the other speaker to make it effective? Would both cabs need to be able to handle 475 Watts? Also, is there any chance of hurting the amp or the 4X10 by hooking up the PA cab?
  5. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    >>>Also, is there any chance of hurting the amp or the 4X10 by hooking up the PA cab?<<<

....depends on how your amp handles biz at the lower ohm's it will be seeing .....

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The Firebass is designed to go down to 2 ohms, so the impedance thing shouldn't be a problem.