Using padded input for a mini drum machine

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have this little mini drum machine that I love to use for practicing with. It's made to be plugged into a standard 1/4" guitar amp jack. Since I have 2 inputs (a passive and an active) on my SVT & V-4BH, would it be "safe" to plug this into the padded input (I'm using a passive bass) and practice using it? Just want to make sure.

2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think so as long as you use the padded input AND an output from the drum machine with volume controls. start low on the drum machine, have the gain on the amp where you need it for good guitar level, then bring drum machine up to level as needed. keep an eye on any "clip" lights your amp input might have, if they blink, TURN THE DRUM DOWN!

Good luck!
  3. Ned Starks Head

Ned Starks Head Yis, actually.

Sep 25, 2004
    Charlotte NC
    What McCrelly said.

I do this all the time, although it's with an Ampeg BA-115 combo at practice.
    Does your cab have a tweeter/horn? I find that drum machines run through amps or combos with a tweeter sound alot better than those without. The BA-115 has a really strong tweeter (which causes the hiss that some users complain about), but my drum machine sounds better through it than any other I've tried.
    Helps to cut some mids and boost the highs a little too.

As always, YMMV.