Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using photos as band logos

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 10, 2003.

1. In case you don't know, I just joined a band called the Filthy International Blindfold. We're running with the blindfold gimmick right now.

I took a cool headshot of a statue a while back and I was wondering...if I wrapped the statue in a blindfold and took a picture of it, would I have to pay royalties or give credit to the statue manufacturer?

I'm thinking no since I've modified the statue enough...I love the profile and features of this particular statue.

I'll post a sample when I get home from work.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I imagine you would get a stony reception if you asked the statue to sign a disclaimer... :D

3. SWEET! Another bad pun thread...

You could probably do it, since the STATUE of limitations ran out five years after it was built. Since you're just starting out, I'm sure the city will turn a BLIND eye to it too. If things get ROCKY though, you may have to CEMENT a relationship with some politicians...

4. Ahahahahahahahahaha... :D

hahahahah... :p

hahaha... :)

ha... :rolleyes:

:meh:

Okay, seriously folks. Just one official, legal answer and then you can do whatever you want with this thread.

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    :spit: Booooo!

I'm no lawyer, but I wouldn't think there would be any royalties involved, especially since you modified the statue. I guess it also might depend on whether it was an album cover or your actual logo.

You never know... if someone can sue for the whole hot-coffee-spillage thing, you never know...

Now please... let's keep the bad puns in the bad pun thread... for the children's sake! :D

6. I was going to use that smilie ( :spit: ) but the server will only allow 5 at a time. :bawl:

I guess instead of being mad :mad: , I'm going to play bass :bassist: a little more. :D

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't want to rain on your parade, granny.

But, IME, using a photo as your logo is going to cost much more than using graphic art on your business cards/flyers/banner/bass drum head/et al unless you don't care it if looks like fungo.

But maybe money isn't a concern for you or maybe there's a printing process I don't know about that does an excellent job with photo images. But photos typically involve color separations and "blue lines" and those cost bucks, IME.

8. Ooops...another case of writing one thing and typing another...Those new smilies are so distracting...

Here is my exact plan:

- Wrap a blindfold around the head of the statue.
    - Take a photograph of the statue's head/shoulders.
    - Draw an exact copy of the photograph - cartoon-style?

The catch is that the logo will look exactly like the statue...with a blindfold tied around its head. Just wondering if we could get in trouble for that.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you're planning to use your photographs as visual reference for drawing a cartoon, I think you'll have no problems at all. The only potential problem would be if the owners of the statue produce material using a cartoon from the same viewing position and you copy the execution of that cartoon while just adding a flimsy blindfold over the top.

However, assuming it's your drawing based on your view of the statue, I don't see any problem.

Post it when you're done. We'll STILL be here (whoops... sorry, that pun just slipped out :eek: ).

Wulf

10. rickbass

Good deal...a printer can easily handle graphic art. (Wish I could draw well!)

It's when they run actuall photos through their color-separation machine, that it gets expensive.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    If it's a drawing, I think it's highly unlikely that there'd be any problems.

You could always make some more minor changes if you think it necessary. Give the statue a different hairstyle or something.

12. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    The statue on the drawing, not the real statue.

So much easier.

:bassist: :oops: :bassist:

(Bassist, singer and guitarist)

13. yeah, i think by making it a cartoon and putting the blindfold on it, it would be hard to figure out which statue it was, even if there were a copyright infringement. And I don't know much about copyright laws (even though I work in Marketing), but I would think there would not be laws against using those types of things as logos. In other words it'd be like having a band called the "Naked Lincolns", with a naked Abe as your logo. OK maybe it would be a problem. But seriously I think you're obscuring the statue enough to make it indistinguishable, so you should be clean.

14. Here's the statue I was thinking of...I guess if I asked my friend to draw the statue from the picture then add the blindfold, that would constitute a significant alteration?

15. Bad Paint job but it gets across what I am thinking...

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    One of the wonderful things about sculpture as an artistic medium is that the viewer can walk round it and see it from many angles and in many different lights. I think you'll only get in trouble if you try producing an accurate 3D replica of the sculpture, not a 2D representation of your perception of one of the myriad ways of seeing it. ROCK on. :bassist:

Looks like quite a nice sculpture, by the way. Where did you find it?

Wulf

17. rickbass

Beautiful art, blindfolded or not, granny!!!! One of my major ex-honeys was a pro sculptress and she would love that!

What about your strings up to her lips??? (Aw, that's just me spouting off).

18. Hey, thanks for the compliments. The angle of the shot was a pure fluke. I was wandering around a shopping mall and happened upon the sculpture - it was an awesome profile so I had to take a picture. Unfortunately, that was the only decent angle...the statue's placement was awful and that was the only shot without background clutter.

19. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Background clutter is one of the key reasons for having software like Photoshop or The GIMP to hand (The GIMP is an open source image manipulation program - you can do most of what Photoshop can do but can download it for free and are actively encouraged to give copies to all your friends).

There are definitely tools more powerful than MS Paint :cool:

Wulf

20. Hey, I talked to our legal counsel at work the other day about this issue, and he said if you can tell which statue it is and you're making profit as a band, you could definitely get in trouble for this. We tried to think of examples where a statue is used, and the most famous one of course is the Statue of Liberty. No profit-making organization uses that as part of or as an entire logo without permission from the government. But it still holds that if you obscure the statue beyond recognizability it should be OK. Since you're turning it into a cartoon anyway, you might want to use the statue as 'inspiration' and change the look of it a little bit...that plus the blindfold should keep you all legal and tidy.

Of course, it would only REALLY become any kind of problem if you guys were to become big enough for a dude in a suit to take notice. So as long as your local I'm sure you'd be fine even if you called yourself "F@#$ WAL-MART" or something.