Using piano for ear training

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Michal Herman, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Michal Herman

Michal Herman

May 31, 2013
    For time to time I am away from home, and thus away from DB and bass guitar. But I have the possibility to get travel keyboard with me: 5-octave 66 keys keyboard, but from soft folding material - not good for piano technique training, but it is some tool to get sound.
    I planned to use it as an ear training device.
    What system and/or exercises would you suggest for such training? Something that could be later beneficial for DB playing.

2. MikeDavis

MikeDavis Supporting Member

May 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Michal Herman likes this.
  3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I just got back from vacation, and taking a DB was not feasible. Instead, I took a guitar, and fiddled around on that late at night before bed - but I used to play guitar, so that felt reasonable. I've taken BG's with a Vox Amplug on trips like this in the past, and that was a nice way to get my head in the game. Sure, not a DB, but the patterns are the same shapes, and it was fun grooving along with some of my favorite Hutch Hutchinson lines. Anything that keeps your head in the game is a good thing.

When I was at ISB for a week in June, I took my Kolstein travel bass and my regular DB (which I was using for my presentation). The regular DB stayed on the site and I practiced every day, but I was able to get in a little time on the travel bass at the hotel; I figured it would be safe because the hotel was full of bassists, but if that hadn't been the case I would have taken a BG instead. Anything beats watching TV!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022