Using pick and fingers in one song...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Jun 17, 2005.

1. I'm in that situation now..
    I have to play one part of the song with the fingers and the rest of it with the pick because of a certain part I can only play as fast as it should be with the fingers.
    But when I should return to pick playing then, there is not enough time to take the pick from where I've put it.

any suggestions maybe??
  2. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    If you are a singer in your band, they make pickholders that wrap around the stem of the mic stand. I had one song in the past where I was using fingers in the verse and pick in the chorus. Since thumb and index were holding the pick, I learned to use the middle and ring finger in the verses. A little awkward at first, but after a few times through the clumsiness wore off. THe other thing you might try is grasping the pick in your palm with thumb pressure, use the base of your hand to rest on your instrument, and when the time comes, use your thumb and index finger to grab the pick out of your palm.
  3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    the bassist in a Irish band hot house flowers slides the pic back into his palm when using his fingers its quite impressive actually!! or what works for me is the bridge on the bass you can always find a place to put a pick there!!
    Best of luck
  4. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When i switch i put hold the pic with my ring finger and pinkie so i can still use my thumb. It's kinda tricky but it works fast if you practice it.
  5. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    That's how I do it.
  6. I agree. Looks cool, too.

7. +1 But not all the way in, you wont have time to wipe it off, I usually hold it in my teeth under my right Canines. or i hold the pick with my pinky and ring and play two finger style.
  8. I do this all the time, but use the side of my nail on my 1st finger instead of a pick.
  9. I've heard many stories of guitarists swallowing their picks... A guitarist I used to play with used to always have a pick between his teeth.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How do you sing with a pick lodged in your throat? Jeez! And people always get mad when I say many musicians aren't very smart ;)
  11. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Try a thumbpick.
  12. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    you could try holding it in your palm with your ring or pinky finger
  13. Also, a little dab of chewing gum behind the ear...Nevermind
  14. You can take a piece of double-sided tape and stick that on your bass somewhere handy for you to slap your pick there when not using it. If you don't have any double stick tape, you can fold a normal piece in half to do the same thing. You may have to reapply new tape before each show.
  15. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I do the same. Almost all the songs I play I use a pick, fingers, and slap with my thumb (I'm not much of a popper). you get quite use to it after a while. or, as someone else said, hold it in your mouth.
  16. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    there are also various pick holding apparatus that attach to your instrument. or you can stick it under the pick gaurd.