using polyphony in good context

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by soundofphysics, Jan 9, 2001.

1. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    i wirte a lot of music for my jazz quartet, and i'm having a little trouble being succesful with polyphony, half the time i voice it pretty good, teh other half it soudns more liek cacophony. Any advice you can give to help me?? what i write on paper looks liek it shoudl be correct, but when i try it out soemthing doesn't seem right.
  2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Sorry I've been so long getting back to you - one of those weeks. Polyphony, by nature, is going to sound a bit avant garde. It is not totally entrenched in Western popular music and therefore our ears. It is hard to give advice without hearing the music or seeing the score. At best any advice I were to give you would be superficial. You might want to look back at what you did that sounded good and further develop those ideas, move them into different contexts. Converesly, analyze those things you feel don't work. Develop a loose "set of rules" to start with. As your ear becomes more sophisticated you can further develop your polyphonic writing techniques. And always remember that the only thing that counts is how it sounds